LegacyGT.com

1st gen audio

I would recommend doing a grounding mod if you haven't already. Adding an amp and a sub taxes your stock ground system. My head unit would short out until I added some more ground lines.

My HU is just a Sony Xplod. It works great and came with the car. I also have an Xplod 1500w amp and two 12" Audiopipe subs in the trunk and it is a lot of fun. My wife loves her boom in the back. The HU has an aux input so I'm happy with it for now.

• 2 weeks later...
I like the pioneers, they have a good power supply and cheap for the features they have. If your never going to use more than one amplifier then you wont need more than one preamp output. Higher the preamp voltage the better and ths will help your amp sound better. Not a fan of sony or jvc. If your going to run high end speakers off your headunit the factory subaru stereo wiring is insufficient. The faceplate will dim under high loads and this power deficiency sends a dirty distorted signal to your quality speakers. If you plan to keep factory speakers it wont make a difference. An easy fix is to run an independent power/ground wire to your HU and bigger speaker wire to every speaker. I installed 6.5"infinity reference components front5.5 components in the rear. Components meaning midrange speaker is seperate from tweeter and a crossover splits the signal. They sound amazing now and with tye 600watt class d amp powering a 12" solobaric L5 it puts shame to most multiamp multisubwoofer systems. I went to mobile dynamics audio/video school and learned a lot of tricks to make what you got sound much better. Make sure you consider how far you want to take the stereo as this will decide which route, features you want in a HU. Some companies state they have a 2000watt amp but only 2-30 amp fuses which 12v times 60 amps isn't close to 2000watts. You usually get what you pay for in audio, 1$

Archived