LegacyGT.com

Auto paint training: WyoTech, UTI, or local college?

Which Automotive School would you choose?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which Automotive School would you choose?

So, I want to learn how to do auto body, paint and finishing and I dont want to just learn from Joe Smith in his house garage with a $50 gravity gun. :rolleyes:

I want to learn the right way, and hopefully get a certificate so I can do it part time for a little extra income and be something I enjoy too.

So the question is, would you guys suggest WyoTech, UTI, or just go through my local college campus and hope they work with military schedules and tuition.

WyoTech and UTI both have campuses in Sacramento which is about 1.5 to 2 hours away.

local college

cheaper and just as good. when I went there (auto tech) all the teachers used to be working techs. they chose to teach because most do have a passion to teach others and do have experience in the field. yes the teacher's experiences is prob the same same as UTI and WyoTech, just cheaper and just as good IMO

And at the college you get just out of high school kids and older folks, which is fine... the older people were actually pretty cool:)

and you'll only learn as much as your willing to learn. if you spend the time and ask the teachers (which they are always willing to help) you will learn a lot

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

well then, take a tour of both uti/wyo and your local college and see what you think. took a tour of wyo tech and it was really really nice campus but it was way too much for me

overall the teachers are gonna be the same, and teachings gonna be the same. just the campus is different

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

uti and wyotech are basically scams. they tell you that you can learn what you need to know in a year and i can tell you that that just isn't true. i did 2 years vocational, three years at college and 11 years on the job and i still don't know what i need to know. i've worked w/ plenty of hacks who did the one year blitz course and none of them could cut it.

i'm not saying that someone intelligent w/ a good mechanical mentality could not be very successful in a short amount of time. what i am saying is that the examples ive seen, seem to be the norm and not the exception. just my .02

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

If you REALLY want to learn, get a job at a body shop and become an apprentice.

Otherwise, one of the Wyo/UTI programs will get you good info. But don't think that a certificate from one of those places is a sure-thing for a job in the field. You'll have to prove yourself.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

If you REALLY want to learn, get a job at a body shop and become an apprentice.

Otherwise, one of the Wyo/UTI programs will get you good info. But don't think that a certificate from one of those places is a sure-thing for a job in the field. You'll have to prove yourself.

Well I cant get another job since my current job takes up most of my time (not to mention I deploy for months at a time)

I dont need a job, I have another 8 years at least of active duty military till I *can* retire. Id just like to learn how to do it so I can feel confident doing my cars or friends cars before I start doing it as a side job later in life.

i go to wyotech right now at the laramie campus im about to finish. i know alot of guys who r taking the refinishing class they all said it was pretty good. but i dont really know how the Sacramento campus is

Bet bet? Buy a beater with body damage (I suggest a truck), and start reading books. You can learn a LOT about fixing a car by trying it yourself.

A friend of mind did that. He got to the point where his rattle-can paint jobs looked damn near as good as paint-booth jobs.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Thats where I am now, I can make rattle can jobs look pretty damn good. But I want to get better. I need more experience and I figured classes would be the best bet.

Ive got some good info from you guys already, thanks!

I'd see if I could pick up a few hours working as an apprentice at a body shop. You'll probably learn more there from a guy who has been doing it for 30 years, than you will in any amount of time at a tech school like Wyo or UTI.

I'd see if I could pick up a few hours working as an apprentice at a body shop. You'll probably learn more there from a guy who has been doing it for 30 years, than you will in any amount of time at a tech school like Wyo or UTI.

Thats a great idea. Ill ask around.

buy a gun and start practicing. i had the benefit of working in a paint shop in my younger days, as a screen print manager. i talked the painter into letting me help him paint things so i could watch his technique and stuff, learned a lot just by watching. painting cars is a bit different than industrial for sure, but he painted cars in the shop on weekends, and i both helped him and painted some of my own.

the college/ tech school route may work out, but really, just get some paint, a gun and some old parts and start painting.

Jac, I was fortunate and found a community learning class at a local high school. The teacher is an old school body man that did body work for the post office for 40 years. It was $120 a quarter and I have taken two quarters and now my wagon looks awesome. Basically all it takes is some reading, doing, and some equipment.

During the painting having my teacher was invaluable. He set the gun properly (it was his personal $700 gun :)), and would tell me "Slow down!", "Too far away!", "Don't tip the gun!", etc. There are also people that have their own booths and will rent them out for a night for a couple hundred bucks. You can probably find a good shooter that you can pay to help you out for some more cash. You have to have a nice gun for the final spray. For priming you can use a POS harbor freight gun if that's all you can get your hands on.

Body work isn't that difficult, it just takes patience and a lot of work. You aren't a dumb ass by any means and I'm sure you could figure it out. Of course your first few attempts won't be perfect, but way better than most shops will do.

As far as needing a booth to do your painting, it isn't completely necessary. You can prime outside in your driveway if need be. And you can do your final painting in a very, very, clean garage. If you get a run, you can always cut and buff it out if you go base/clear.

I will now use this post as another shameless opportunity to put up a pic of my newly painted wagon. Pretty good for a first timer! :lol:

IMG_1077.thumb.jpg.403b640ec607ad14a987fb0be4d22b7a.jpg

IMG_1078.thumb.jpg.30c8265b0754b913cc9295bd49a630af.jpg

IMG_1079.thumb.jpg.f93dad11dfa192674f7b0c6a4a153f8b.jpg

IMG_1080.thumb.jpg.d6910b2e78df5fad1695e68335a43693.jpg

Archived