LegacyGT.com

If you were in my shoes, what would you do?

lol slow

My transmission went out about a month ago, so I took it to a pretty well known shop here called Atlas Transmission, my dad knows the owner and said he can hook me up.

So they pick my car up, fix it over a weekend and I pick it up Monday.

First day having it back right away I noticed issues with the RPM not matching with gearing, like it use to. Basically when in 5th gear, at 60mph my rpms would sit at 3k, before it would be exactly at 2.5k.

Finally, yesterday I had a short day at work and wasn't busy, so I went back up to see what went wrong, I thought maybe they put gears from like an outback 5mt in, after talking to the owner, he told me he "upgraded" me to STRAIGHT CUT gears, he told me the down fall is the rpms will be higher, but the transmission will be A LOT more reliable.

I don't know to much about straight cut gears, but I've heard they can take a nice beating, but what sucks it one of the gears they replaced with a straight cut it 5th gear...IT SUCKS for high way cruising, I also believe they changed 4th and 3rd as well.

If you were in my shoes, would you ask for them to re-do it with oem gears or should I keep it and look at it as a positive thing?

I just did some research and when you're running straight cut gears, it makes a whining sound, on top of that since they aren't SYNcro I'd have a hard time shifting in less rev matched, my trans no matter was gear does not make any loud noise and goes into every gear fine.

Honestly, he probably bull shitted me. I don't have time or money to mess around, I might look into trading it in.

Helical gears are stronger than straight cut gears, if both gears are the same size. I don't see why he would use straight cut gears in your application unless you were dealing with a very high level of torque. It's also not necessarily true that straight cut are more reliable or longer lasting. In fact, in most applications I would tend to say the opposite.

• 3 weeks later...

the real difference between helical and spur gears is side loading and noise. helical gears induce a sideload when under torque but are quieter. spur gears are louder but dont induce the sideload.

comparing on cars101

2006 outback xt

Manual 5spd

1- 3.166

2- 1.882

3- 1.296

4- 0.972

5- 0.738

final 4.444

gt/ gtspecb

manual 5spd

1st 3.166

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.296

4th .972

5th .738

final reduction 4.111

outback 2.5i

Manual 5spd

1- 3.454

2- 2.062

3- 1.448

4- 1.088

5- 0.871

final 4.111

legacy2.5i

5spd manual

1st 3.454

2nd 2.062

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th .780

final 3.90

im not sure of the interchangeability of these units. good luck

Yeah I got raped, end of story. Thank you for the ratio's between the cars though, that helps!

Straight cuts would clearly wine and be loud as hell, my transmission is like before, noise wise.

I'm saving for a beater Civic or even old ass Impreza, when I get one I will be taking my car back to get properly rebuilt, then I will be looking into an 06-07 STI trans from a junkyard, or my buddy gets cheap things since he is in the repair business.

We found an 06 STI trans for $2500, with 100k mile warranty from the shop selling it...wish I had the money,

an 06 STi tranny will put you at the same RPM range, if not higher, than the one you have. The 6th gear is not a "highway gear"

The best MPG you could hope for with an 06 6speed is 25mpg.

Trade the built tranny you have for a stock one with someone on the forum.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

My transmission isn't built, that's the problem. I was lied to, the gears that broke in mine were most likely replaced with gears off an Outback, not straight cut. Straight cuts would whine, quite loud, also would be hard to put into that gear in less rev matched.

I want an STI transmission because it's much stronger, and from what my friend Mike said his 611whp STI was the strongest with an 06 STI trans.

Archived