LegacyGT.com

Jack stand safety.....

I always thought how easy would it be to lift that handle up while the car is on the jack stands. And to think that these jack stands have been used for long time now. It doesn't matter what brand they are. HF has theirs but they're all made in China, including Craftsman and work the same.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a good point... I was under the misguided assumption that if a ziptie took 70lbs of force to break and the lever took 90lbs, at least that would be a 160lb force to knock it loose if someone kicked it... Probably wishful thinking though. To be honest I'm more concerned with the stand tipping when doing things like putting a tranny on.

Didn't the article say it requires 90lbs to unseat the lever?

I haven't verified the numbers, but if that is the case than consider using industrial strength zip ties or hose clamps. Most commercial zip ties have a 70lb working load or less. You'll snap the tie before the loaded stand could unseat the lock. The safety of a standard cable zip tie is a false blanket.

There are some zip ties you can get from HD or Lowes that are rated at 100 lb or more. Use the highest rated ones you can find.

Also make sure you are using zip ties that are chemical safe and UV safe. Some ties will significantly weaken in the presence of oil or coolant, making them even more hazardous.

And obviously use a new zip tie every time.

Or buy pin-type jack stands. Drill a small hole in the pin and keep it from backing out with a cotter pin.

My pin style stands have a flanged pin and a cotter included.

I would go with hose clamps.

Archived