LegacyGT.com

EJ22T Question

I have a 94 Legacy with an EJ22T.. It has high miles but it is now my project and I want to know if there are ways to upgrade my turbo and pretty much the whole car. Anything bolt on would be a great help, but I am open to any suggestions :) Thanks for looking.

Please help this is my first car and I don't want to get rid of it at all.

I've heard of people upgrading the Turbo on the ej22t. But genially speaking new up pipes/down pipes, headers, Turbo exhaust system and all that fun.stuff is helpful. I know that slapping.on ej20 heads is a popular mod. They're better flowing I think. Cams would be good.

The ej22t being a closed deck motor allows for insane.amounts of boost. If you can get it to flow a little Betterr and maybe beef up the internals a shade you.should be able to run 25 lbs of boost EASY

So I've heard tho. I'm a second Gen guy so I've never got the opportunity to work in and ej22t sadly:( I want one bad tho. Really bad ass motor

You cant tune the EJ22T ECU. EJ20G heads are nice, but really hard to find.

I wasn't sure. But cant you do a piggy back tune like some people do with the ej25? and which motor is easier to swap in to a second Gen... ej22t or like an 03 ej20 from a wrx? This thread has got me thinkin.. lol

Yeah, you can do a piggy back system or stand alone. As for my SS, it is bone stock. However, I am working on a 22T swap to go in my second gen and I haven't worked out what the final build will be. If I could get my hands on some EJ205 heads, ecu, and intake mani that would be great because then I would have the ability to open source tune it. As for now, my 22T that I am going to swap is still in the non running '93 touring wagon that was given to me.

There is a guy on bbs who will chips 20G ecus and they work with 22Ts. I don't know if either motor would be easier than the other. They both would bolt right in, and both would require a new ecu and wiring harness merge. EJ22Ts are harder to find than an ej20.

Yeah but its so much cooler to be running an ej22t. Them being as rare as they are and older. I get frustrated hearing about all the ones that youhave/had. Atleast I think its you? You've had a few first gens have you not? Lol

I have been lucky for sure. Too bad you aren't closer to Salt Lake. I find nice SSs for sale every month or so. I have come across seven or eight for sale since I started looking. I know of one for sale for $1200 w/4EAT and 140k, and I just found one with the rare 5MT for $2300 and 200k. I find SVXs all the time too, lol. I wish I could buy them all. :spin:

Lol I might just have to drive out there when I'm looking for my source car!! Hmmm... new question? Would it be profitable to source a ej22t from an ss and swap it into my 2nd Gen... then swap the ej25 bunting the ss and resell it?????

You'd be better off getting an ej255/257 short block (or even an ej25 n/a with sti pistons) and swapping that in, and using a standalone or piggyback. Ej22T was a cool little engine back in it's day, but today it's just an interesting but obsolete block.

You'd be better off getting an ej255/257 short block (or even an ej25 n/a with sti pistons) and swapping that in, and using a standalone or piggyback. Ej22T was a cool little engine back in it's day, but today it's just an interesting but obsolete block.

Now wait a minute? I under the impression that the ej22t was a motor with extreme potential... it bein a closed deck motor it can hand ridiculous amounts of boost with the proper internal work correct?

It is a great little bulletproof motor and can handle a lot of boost. Being closed deck it does have the potential to overheat quicker. If I didn't have a 22T block to start with I would look into getting a 257, it's another good option. Block halves can be found for $1,000 on ebay with no internals. A 22T short block can sell for $600 or more.

Calling it obsolete is a bit much, though. If it was obsolete then there wouldn't be people posting WTB ads for them all the time. Guys in the UK love them. But like anything, it boils down to opinion. If mike-tracy wishes he can elaborate further on why a 22T is obsolete.

edit: This discussion should be moved to the appropriate forum. Sorry everyone.

Didn't mean to start an arguement. But there are really no downsides to an ej255/257 shortblock stock vs stock against an ej22t.

Lets talk about tuning options. Unfortunately the "dumb" ecu learns around any piggyback you throw it's way.

Apexi POWERFC for 92-96 WRX (ej20g model). About a grand or less if not new in box - they don't make em any more. No support. Many tuners won't touch em even with the (serial port) computer connections. You'll need to rewire the car to use coil on plug, OR buy one of robtunes converter cards. Oh and it doesn't support knock control so you'll need a J&S safeguard. That's $450. Then the tune - a standalone needs to be dynotuned for best results. Can be roadtuned as well. Either way that's $$.

Link, Haltech, Hydra, Autronic,etc. Standalones. Same story as above. Over a grand to several grand. Requires rewiring and serious dyno time. Doesn't use the IAC, so cold starts can be bad.

My favorite (best bang for the buck) option. Robtune. A couple hundred bucks for the chip, a hundred or so for the 4-plug WRX ej20g ecu (which needs the COP-Wasted spark converter to work in your car, that Rob also sells for $60 I believe). You tell him what your setup is and he writes the code. Best performance off of our crappy 91-92 octane.

If you don't want to mess with all that just yet, my advice is to get a TD04 turbo and a slanty ver1-2 wrx/sti intercooler. Runs fine off the stock ecu and injectors. Easy 20-30 HP upgrade, and they are cheap since no-one wants em.

Don't worry about heads or built internals. The stock block and heads are just fine. Cams could help some as well, if you're not stock any more, and only cost $100 apiece (you need 2)

Yeah the internals are fine for the amount of boost were talking about but I was talking about running 25-30psi lololol. But ej20 heads aren't a complete necessity... they just flow better than 22t heads.

Thanks for that mike-tracy. We're not arguing, just discussing. ;)

The TD04 w/slanty TMIC is what I am planning to do to my SS, and then maybe the robtuned ecu. Other than that, I'll keep it stock. It's my wife's DD and she doesn't need a ton of power. For my 22T swap into the second gen I haven't fully decided what to do, so thanks for your input. I do want something pretty fast and fun, but I don't need an ungodly amount of power.

You have got me thinking if I should go the 255/257 route. It's just that I have the 22T long block already. I guess I could sell it and put that towards a 257. It may be that even though I have the 22T block for free that a 257 will be more cost effective in the long run and give me more options. Luckily I don't have to decide today. :)

• 5 years later...
Hey thanks Im doing allot of ej22t work RN and this thread is real helpful. I know its old but still thanks. And you think owning a ej22t makes you lucky because im 17 and the legacy sport 94 w/ an ej22t is my first and only car and i had no idea how rare it was when I paid 1000$ for it.

Archived