LegacyGT.com

Personal thoughts on 09 LGT

I happen to own both a 09 LGT (5EAT) and 08 Impreza 2.5i (auto). The LGT is definitely a step up in terms of performance.

Engine and Transmission: The extra turbo power is very nice and lots of fun. Torque comes in around 3.5k rpm and holds until almost the redline. The throttle seems a little smoother in the LGT. The 5EAT is MUCH better than the 4EAT, it shifts much smoother, especially with rev-matched downshifts which are instant and seamless. Upshifts are still slow though.

Handling wise they seem pretty close. The LGT feels a bit more sure footed, but I definitely notice that the Impreza is 200-300 lbs lighter, and that helps handling. I would say the LGT is more confident, while the Impreza feels a little more tossable.

The other major difference is the transmission, if your impreza is an auto an LGT auto or manual will be a major upgrade. The 4EAT really runs out of gearing above 60 mph when you have to shift into 3rd).

Interior. The LGT interior is nicer, the seats are more comfortable, and there's less hard plastic. Road noise is a little less on the LGT, but not by a huge margin. Both cars are still relatively noisy. In the Impreza its due to a lack of deadening material, the in LGT the frameless windows, pick your poison.

Ownership cost: Both cars have about 30k miles on them with zero issues. In general, the turbo is a potential risk item, but properly maintained it should last to 100k. You can expect the LGT to be slightly more expensive for routine service.

Gas mileage: I typically average about 24 mpg while my wife is getting closer to 28 in the Impreza (slightly more freeway), so expect to take about a 10-15% hit on gas mileage. And you'll always use premium so add another $0.20/gal. If your Impreza is a stick you'll likely take a bigger hit on mileage, since the 4EAT is terrible for mileage.

I went from a 09 Legacy 2.5i to a 08 LGT and there is a huge difference for me. The interior is nice with dual power seats. Heated seats/windshield/side mirrors were also a plus. The steering is more sensitive on the LGT than the 2.5. And last but not least, MOAR POWER, but that was a given. Gas prices blow though. I was getting 24 MPG with the 2.5i and now I'm getting 19-20 MPG on the LGT. I do alot of city driving in NYC so that will contribute to the lower numbers than other members on the forum.

You'll look older and look like you have $/Wealthy

Impreza more younger years(high school/college)

It's nice and luxurious, not Acura/Mercedes luxury but great for an Subaru.

Nothing wrong with an 09 lgt other than it needs a tbe to hear that subaru rumble.

Nothing wrong with an 09 lgt other than it needs a tbe to hear that subaru rumble.

Yes, people think I am wealthy driving a subaru legacy

• I Donated Too

...because I want to look older, yes.

First off my SubaBro, thanks from me and my family to you and your family for your sacrifices in service to all of us.

Second, I really dig what the my non-Spec B LGT offers in ride comfort, handling and performance for a great cost. Also relatively easy and not too expensive to mod to stage 2 which is actually more performance then this old guy can handle in most daily driving. BUT, great for on-ramp frolicks and blasting by multitudes of slowpokes backed up on our two lane mountain roads with a down shift and bit more throttle.

Thirdly, I noticed that my indy Subaru service guys here in Denver (http://www.subieauto.com/) have a 2009 regal blue LGT with 5 speed manual (I think 39K miles) they will be selling after they go through it on a shake down. These guys are known for being honest and standing behind their work.

Archived