LegacyGT.com

sr20 240 vs. my legacy vs. wrx

240- sr20 redtop w/ full plumbing, fmic, 16psi

wrx- full turboback, mbc @16psi

me-stage 2, upipe, downpipe

240sx:

from a stop i got the 240 by about 5 cars up to 60, but he was spinnin...so bleh

from a 20 mph roll i romped the 240 by about 2 cars shuttin down at 70 or so

from ~50mph roll the 240 had my by a car length up till about 100 then i was startin to come back and he shut down

wrx:

2nd gear dig around 15mph i had about 6 cars thru to 70

from about 50mph roll to 100mph it was about even

bottom line is till i get a bigger turbo (ie not for a couple years) i need to stay down low :)

not exactly sure...the sr20 probably has in the neighborhood of 260whp and the wrx has close to 250whp or so

yes i have mt

Without aftermarket turbo, that sr20 could not be pushing 260whp. In fact, it couldn't push 16psi that well either.

Guest JessterCPA

Not trying to go too off topic here but...

How many SR20 240sx's are there out there? I got into a highway jaunt with a 240, all prepped to look like a drifter, decals & all. I walked away from 70-110 or so, then backed off & did it all over again, twice. My only concern was if he had an SR20. Apparently he didnt. What is my chance of running into one?

Thanks

Jesse

yea it is silver

haha all the "drifters" around here are slow...my girlfriend knows most of the better drifters on the east coast cause shes been driftin with her dad and his friends since before she had her license

the guy with the 240 works with me...he likes straight ahead stuff, higher boost etc etc

Even with a sr20 motor, the car only puts out 200 at the crank...or about 170 at the wheel. A 240sx is not that light of a car either, so I am sure the GT will be faster. And most 240sx are shipped with open diff, so they have a harder time putting down the power to the ground also. Frankly, most of those engines are sort of beaten up before they reach the US, so they aren't performing up to the factory specs either.

Without gutting the 240sx, or putting a bigger turbo in place of the T25, the GT will beat SR equiped 240sx for sure. Most SR20 swap I have seen are just straight swaps on the street. A few add FMIC, and some gets bigger injector bigger MAFs and bigger turbo. And very few 240s I have seen got actual ECU tuning. Those car "feels" fast to the driver because the power delivery is abrupt, esp with a boost controller running. And even with the factory VLSD, they can't really put down power that well either. After all, they are almost 15 yrs old on certain models, and parts are just that worn out.

I haven't seen many 240sx that are truly well built and well put together. Unfortunately, most are poorly cobble together and runs poorly. So I wouldn't worry about 240sx on the street...not that I condone street racing....hahhahaha.

Without aftermarket turbo, that sr20 could not be pushing 260whp. In fact, it couldn't push 16psi that well either.

and what do you have to support that? he did push 16psi with the stock turbo

however, he has an s15 turbo (t28) last i saw and id imagine fuel management as well..and you will easily see 260whp out of that and full piping. shit a s14 with stock turbo can see that easy with full plumbing...ive been around sr20s for a while before my subaru

S13 Sr20= 200hp T25 turbo

S14 Sr20= 220hp w/vvt, T25 Ball Bearing Turbo

S15 Sr20= 250hp w/vvt, T28 Ball Bearing Turbo, 440cc fuel injectors.

On the s13 red top sr20det, the t25 runs out of efficiency pass 14psi. It is a physically small turbo, which is why I say it can't push 16psi well. Even at 16psi, a stock turbo on a red top s13 can put down only around 210-220 at the wheel at most. Which I think is quite respectable for a tiny non-bb turbo. S15 turbo is a slightly different matter, but since you were talking about redtop, I made the wrong assumption that the owner only has the stock turbo.

With the s15 turbo, you can only get to 260 at the wheel if you get a larger maf. Stock redtop maf is tiny, and simply cannot meter all the air required to generate that much power. Your maf voltage output would max out. Common mod would be running a z32 maf (jpn tuning) or cobra maf (usa tuning) as those have a larger cross section area for intake. The redtop engine is 2L and no variable valve timing, to see that much power to the ground isn't that easy with stock bits. For 260 at the wheel you will need to go up to the 550 injectors at least, larger maf, larger turbo (or s15 turbo), and run around 20psi (if using s15 turbo). And for other people not familiar with those engine, the number you listed above is at the crank, not at the wheel.

Since you have been around sr20 for a while, I am sure you can agree about my assessment. I could be wrong, but I don't think I can be that far off. :lol: This is based on personal experience with owning and tuning the engine, and having a lot of friends with s13 and s14 240sx. The proof:

http://www.onetongarage.com/images/2_4.jpg

That black s13 convertible was my car, the rest are friends' car. Power wise, that white s13 coupe in front has z32 maf, HKS FMIC, HKS intake, S15 turbo, injectors, 3 inch downpipe, 3 inch hi-flow cat, 3 inch exhaust. So I am familiar with the setup that you speak of.

http://www.onetongarage.com/images/2_10.jpg

This is in front of my house, same white s13 as pictured above, plus another redtop sr20det s13 hatch back that belong to another friend. That s14 in the picture has the greddy turbo kit on the KA24DE, so he is running TD06-20G turbo with Trust FMIC. In case some one ask later, all those cars in foreground are running Work wheels. Ignore that junky stock NSX...hahahaha.

As for my car, I did a 5 speed MT conversion from automatic, since Nissan only sold convertible in automatic form. My redtop, HKS intake, Blitz 3in downpipe, 3 inch cat, 3inch 5zigen exhaust:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/oister/car_sale/CIMG0079.jpg

And my HKS GT turbo for the S13:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/oister/car_sale/CIMG0035.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/oister/car_sale/CIMG0037.jpg

Sorry for the large pictures, hopefully it doesn't kill 56k modems.

ahh i wish my gf didnt get rid of her beater coupe...i was gonna put in a ca18 in it for her, but alas...she couldnt afford to keep it

that wouldve been a nice drift car for her, but she does well in her miata too

Archived