LegacyGT.com

noob with no idea where to start... help please.

sirslex

Ok, so let's start with the car. 1997 Legacy POSTAL wagon. Overall the car runs great. But it makes some noise when turning (while moving). I was told it was the transmission or the front differential. And that the differential was part of the transmission. I have no idea how long the car can last in this condition.

I suppose my simplest fix is to replace the whole tranny if it would include the differential. SO, what model tranny do I need to look for? What junkyard cars can I look at as being a donor?

And of course, any info on the differential being part of the tranny would be helpful.

Point me in the right direction for all the loads of info I know is already here. Please. :)

Ok, so the noise itself is more like the brakes sound if they are worn down to the metal. But it isn't the brakes.

And the front CV joints were both replaced a few weeks ago. They were bad, but this is an entirely different noise. :(

Is it possible that somehow the fluid is gone from the differential? I was poking around the forums and saw that there should be two dipsticks for the tranny. One of which should be for the diff? ( I'll have to go look after work)

Archived