LegacyGT.com

Engine Idle Interference

rweezy

I know this isnt for a subaru, but this is audio related and most audio is universal through out makes. So my buddy and I just got done installing a somewhat elborate set up in his 02 mustang. Everything went great and he is loving it except for when the car is running we get buzzing interference through the speakers when the car is running. Here is a list of whats installed.

-Clarion double din headunit

-Infinity speakers 2 doors, 2 rears, 200 watt max

-800 watt Boss 4 channel

-2500 watt Boss 2 channel

- 2 10" kenwoods in small enclosed box

- Misc wiring goodies including 2 ga wiring kit

Thats just the short list of the main components. We have determined as of last night that the interference is coming from the 4 channel amp that had his Infinity's running through it. As of now we bypassed the the speakers directly to the head unit as the buzzing was driving him crazy. We tried relocating the ground, rerouting wires and many other ideas anyone has recommended. The only thing that will stop the buzzing is running the amp through low pass rather then high pass. High pass and the mid pass cause said buzzing. So what im left to think is since this is a lower quality amp its not cut out to run door speakers clearly, or its just a bad amp and we need to look into getting him a replacement. Hopefully not the latter as it was purchased through amazon. Any help that could be provided would be great. If I missed anything please point it out. Thanks

So after reading I'm assuming the power wires are not down the same side of the car as the RCA's coming from the headunit correct?

If that is not what is causing the buzz it may be a faulty amp. Is the buzzing like an alternator whine? Or what is it like?

Guess I left that part out, we ran all power lines down the drivers side and kept all speaker and rca wires down the passenger side. Also I tied the inputs straight into that high input harness that came with the amp. Ive done that before with my sub amps but never tried it on a speaker amp before. Im confident its hooked up right, but maybe an LOC with the rca's going to the amp would be a better option to get rid of the buzz. Also my buddy tells me the buzz changes when he hits the brakes and changes slightly when accelerating or stepping on the gas. Not really an alternator whine though more of a buzz like when you paritially plug in a headphone cord into a jack or put your finger on it and get that buzz(kinda hard to explain).

sounds like an RCA grounding issue. Have you tried swapping out the RCAs with a different set to see if that works? Are the RCA connections secure on both sides (back of the deck and on the amp)?

Thats where im beginning to think the issue lies. For the four channel amp we ran individual speaker wire to the amp from the deck's speaker outputs to the high input of the amp. The deck does not have the capability to run rca's to the four channel for the speakers. Im starting to think we should have tied the speaker outputs to an LOC then run rca's to the low input side of the amp. Maybe the LOC filters out the interference. Money was running out for my buddy and an LOC got scratched from the list.

Archived