LegacyGT.com

Surprise debris in my transmission...help?!

TWBarrett

I have my 05 LGT up on jack stands in preperation of replacing the clutch. The car won't hold power in 4th or 5th past about 15% throttle...the revs just climb uncontrollably without speeding the car up.

Anyway, the shop manual recommends that you drain the transmission fluid as part of this procedure, and I found a lot of metal debris on my magnetic drain plug when I pulled it out. I'm very worried now. Is it possible that it is debris from a disintegrating clutch plate? Or should I be worried about a bigger problem?

The car has 94k miles, but I did my full 90k service (including replacing transmission and diff fluids) at 88k when I replaced my turbo.

Any help would be *greatly* appreciated. Prepping for a Seattle --> Atlanta drive in 5 days.

Was it a metal slime or actual metal pieces/parts on the drain plug?

There was a tiny bit of metal slime (fluid changed 6k ago) and some actual shards. Waiting for the pic to land in my gmail to post.

Very concerned.

fluid has no bearing on the clutch. i hope you know what your getting into doing a clutch. but i also had a lot of material on my plug the first time

I've never done a clutch before but it can't be that difficult, right? :)

well its a tight fit with the turbo, its pretty "stuck" to the engine and its pretty damn heavy. if your diy on jack stands might want to reconsider. if your a professional then probably will only get frustrated.

I bought a transmission jack. Still much cheaper than paying a shop to do it. Is that the only hang-up? Obviously, moving the transmission off of the engine sounds like a big job, but it is just nuts and bolts!

My biggest problem is that the car had zero debris on the transmission plug when I changed the fluid at 88k. Now, 6k miles later, there are big chucks of what looks like aluminum on the plug. The biggest piece is over an inch long.

Now this is interesting. My transmission fluid dipstick is, well, missing. It appears that the stick broke off of the end and was eaten by my transmission! Crazy.

So now the question...if this debris was at the bottom, shouldn't I just be able to flush the system a time or two and then I'll be all good? As long as the dipstick traveling through the gears didn't damage any of the gears, of course.

So bizarre.

That is pretty crazy.

You can try a drain and fill (might even drain and fill again shortly after), and I'd def ask Subaru for help if it did damage your trans. Get it documented at your local dealership and/or call SoA asap.

Archived