LegacyGT.com

Might pull trigger on Legacy Premium

Good luck with closing the deal; I hope it goes smoothly.

It went anything but smoothly. It was a complete disaster. I specifically asked for the graphite gray and when I got to the dealership, they had everything but graphite gray. Luckily, I mostly conversed with them over email and they were able to bring up the exact email where I said that I wanted the graphite gray. So they were scrambling trying to find me a car, but said there was no way I was getting a graphite gray tonight and they might be able to get one tomorrow, but I had to put down a "refundable" deposit. I said I wasn't comfortable with that and since I wasn't getting the car I wanted tonight, I'll go somewhere else and I left.

So, I went to another dealership, they had the Legacy I wanted, but with extra I didn't (auto-dimming mirror, splash guard (which I wouldn't mind) and a cargo protector thing) and it would have costs me $500 more, on top of that, they wouldn't match the other dealership, so it would have been $1,500-$2,000 more than I anticipated.

Not sure if I overreacted, but I hadn't planned on being there so long and I hadn't eaten anything, so my head was spinning.

So now I'm stuck. I'm thinking that $21,500/$3,500 deal was a little too good to be true and no one is going to match it, so I have to weigh my options. Probably made this way more harder on myself.

Does it have to be gray? Did you have the dealer try to locate the car you wanted?

I kind of had my heart set on gray, I don't really like any of the other colors. My last car I kept for 10 years, so I want to make sure this car is the car I want.

If they had let me known before I stopped in that gray wasn't available, then maybe I could have reconsidered, but I felt like they gave me a good deal to get me in there, then did the old bait-n-switch. Maybe being a little overly paranoid though. Like I said, I haven't bought a car in 10 years, so it's not like I'm an expert at this.

They said they would "try" to locate a car for me, but I had to but a deposit down, which I wasn't comfortable doing. I was thinking, I put down a deposit on a car and the only one they could find in gray is a moonroof, with leather and built-in navigation.

Really, I might have been willing to deal with them, but the sales manager was completely condescending to me. At first, he was indicating I shouldn't have expected a gray car to be there, but when the sales guy brought up the email from a week ago where I said I specifically wanted gray, he had nothing to say. Then I told them I don't have time to sit around all night waiting for a car and I was expecting to drive off tonight, he said he wasn't aware I was coming in to buy the car tonight, which I had no response.

I did a little research when I got home on the dealership, Tom Ganley, and they have a history of bad business practices:

"Ganley has been sued more than 400 times in connection with his auto dealerships for complaints including age discrimination, gender discrimination and deceptive business practices. In April 2011, Ganley agreed to pay $300,000 to current and former black employees to settle a 2007 racial discrimination case."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Ganley

Looks like other people have had problems with this dealership, as well:

http://g.co/maps/5vuup

I'm a bit late to the reply, sorry, but if you have not done so already, I highly suggest trying to sell it on your own, with a car worth that little you can probably get some teenager looking for a first car to buy it fairly quickly. Once you get that out of the way the negotiating is more straightforward. I got my 2.5i Premium for 22 even, all weather package I believe was the only thing added. General rule that I learned, they have a VIP program that gives buyers the car at Invoice, or from 1-3% below invoice. Getting to 3% is hard, but you should be able to get them down to 1-2% below invoice.

I'm a bit late to the reply, sorry, but if you have not done so already, I highly suggest trying to sell it on your own, with a car worth that little you can probably get some teenager looking for a first car to buy it fairly quickly. Once you get that out of the way the negotiating is more straightforward. I got my 2.5i Premium for 22 even, all weather package I believe was the only thing added. General rule that I learned, they have a VIP program that gives buyers the car at Invoice, or from 1-3% below invoice. Getting to 3% is hard, but you should be able to get them down to 1-2% below invoice.

Thanks for the advice, but selling it on my own is not really an option. I just don't have the time to do that. I'm just going to go to a more reputable Subaru dealership and be happy with invoice and a $3,000 trade-in. I think expecting far below invoice was a little unrealistic, even with the supply of Legacys.

how long do you figure till he's on here asking for "just a little more power" :p

I know what you mean. :lol: He's coming from a focus LX. If it was a svt, then maybe.. Anyway, I think he knows what he's doing. Hope he also gets a nice deal.

There are quite a few months left before the 2013 Subaru Legacy is shipping to dealers...in fact they are still shipping 2012 models to dealers. They are not in any position to be extremely desperate to sell them and "give them away" at this point as you are implying. Especially if you are set on a graphite gray 2.5i Premium with CVT, AWP and nothing else. However, there are enough available that someone will be willing to negotiate. Ganley Subaru has 4 white, 3 indigo blue and 1 silver model currently in inventory with the features you want. Subaru of Brunswick and Park Subaru both have one graphite gray Legacy with the features you want in stock, and Park Subaru is also the same dealer that has these advertised these right now at $22,130. Sometimes online inventory is not correct, so call first, then drive your trade-in there and physically talk to a salesman with checkbook in hand.

Go talk to Nick at Subaru of Brunswick. I went in there with a good online advertised price and "good" KBB trade in value and did almost no negotiating at all. I think people in general complain about stuff too much online, but I have heard enough first-hand stories about dealers with "Ganley" in the name to be apprehensive. BTW the Nissan dealer that I walked out of...take a wild guess who owned it.

I agree with the second part, not the first. ;)

Uh-oh.. :lol: Nice move on the Ganley research though. I was particularly set on a white one back then, but the stick on the lot was blue. It was so & so at the first few months of ownership but we eventually appreciated it & loved it.

Uh-oh.. :lol: Nice move on the Ganley research though. I was particularly set on a white one back then, but the stick on the lot was blue. It was so & so at the first few months of ownership but we eventually appreciated it & loved it.

Yea, like I said, if the sales manager wasn't being condescending to me and it wasn't so late in the day, I would have tried to work with them, but I felt like I was being "bait-and-switched" (probably just over-paranoid), so instead of doing something I might regret, I walked out.

Holy shitballs. I called Subaru of Brunswick to inquire if they had the exact Legacy I was looking for. They had it and said they will sell it to me for $21,800 with $3,500 trade-in and throw in the auto-dimming mirrors and floor mats. I definitely made this way harder than it had to be. Should have picked a number to begin with and gone to a reputable dealer straight away. Ohwell, ends justify the means, I guess. :) Thanks again everyone for your replies. Hopefully this thread will help someone else in the future.

Nice! You definitely worked your way around, but when you get the deal you want it is worth it.

When I got mine I did exactly what you did, went into the dealership, left, spoke to them on the phone, went back and forth, finally said 22 and you have a deal I'll be in tonight, they called me back a few hours later to confirm, made me a little mad cause I had some wiggle room :) as you pointed out.

Nice job on the research and willingness to shop around.

It's amazing to me in this day and age that the stereotypical scumbag, lying, game playing, car salesman still exists at all when it's so easy for informed customers to find all the good car dealerships and salesman out there who don't treat the people who are feeding their families like idiots. I have no connection to Subaru of Brunswick other than having a good car buying experience there...as good as any I have ever had actually. Too much undue stress at the dealership means you are in the wrong place.

Hey, everybody. As George W. Bush would say, "Mission Accomplished!".

http://www.krisdb.com/images/car.jpg

I ended up paying $20,021.13 total, after fees, taxes and trade-in, with auto-dimming mirror and weather mats. Just doing some rough math, the first quote I was given was $22,479.98 (without mirror or mats), probably could have talked down that first quote maybe a $1,000 on the trade-in at most and signed right there to avoid the headache. So I figured I saved anywhere from $1,000-$1,400 (and a few extra) by doing some leg work.

Now to go blow the saving on beer! :)

Archived