LegacyGT.com

Elusive Front End Clunk

pcr5946

• 2 months later...
I had the same sort of rattling clattering metallic noise coming from the left front on my 2008 Spec B.. finally found the problem yesterday.. After carefully inspecting everything from brake calipers, wheel bearings, motor and tranny mounts, sway bar bushings, end links, CV shafts, lower control arms and exc. I finally removed rubber dust cap from the left front strut tower and found that the Nut that holds the shock to the top hat assembly was loose (I was able to turn it by hand). I tightened it up< and sure enough, the noise was finally gone!!.. just a FYI.. maybe something to check.. I have no idea why it was loose, I have never had any work done to the struts, and it has a lock nut on it. Must have just slowly work itself loose over time.

• 4 years later...
Had a similar experience on my 09 with OEM Bilsteins - 185k km. Clunking from the RF, suspected the sway bar end links or bushings after doing some reading so replaced those (OEM endlinks were nasty to remove) and still had the clunking. Finally got to this thread in my searching and checked the strut top nut. The nut had backed off about a 1/4 turn - was able to snug it up using a regular socket and the noise is gone.

• 4 weeks later...

MY 2008 Outback XT Limited The Clunks and cracking sounds front and rear over low speed mini bumps.

Replaced sway bar bushings front and all four sway bar links.

Replaced struts front and rear KYB with new upper mounts.

inspected all links front and rear ( noted front all ready had new lower control arms replaced) all other bushing look factory fresh.

Said story comes now. right rear was squeaking and clunking. front were still clunking but sharper than with factory struts over paint bumps on the street at low speeds.

I had Front end alignment done. at this shop he hand wrenched the center strut bolts about one turn tighter and the noise on front seemed to go away. he set the camber and toe. the rear was not needing any adjustment. The outback still had clunking in the right rear and the front was Quiet. the car was drifting too quickly to the right. I took back to the alignment shop were as we swapped right to left tires and he tighten the center struts with impact gun Quite a few more turns to bottom out the center bolts.

the Outback is not drifting any more "But the left front is clunking badly again." The right front is still Quiet as can be. Conclusion is the shock is banging on the strut housing inside the tubes. :-( sadly to say)-: in 30 years of wrenching and way more of driving all types of strut cars this is the first ever with strut noises. WoW...........

• 2 months later...
Subbed. Hopefully this is the fix to my 05 LGT random front end clunk/rattle over small bumps. I've replaced LCAs, sway bar bushings/mounts, end links, complete strut assemblies, alignment, and tightened every bottom bolt I could see.

I bought my LGT in Nov 17, and it had/has the clunk. Over any bump, large or small. I'm pretty sure my issue is the end links or bushings, as the steel rims that came with the car (for winter tires) were bent to @#$%^%$@. Bent steel rims means the car has seen some serious pothole hits (which the seller readily admitted to), so the end links and bushings are likely destroyed. Wouldn't surpise me if the ball joints are also toast, but the steering is solid so who knows.

I'm planning on upgrading the sway bars front and rear and the struts/shocks this summer anyway, so will see if that gets rid of it.

Archived