LegacyGT.com

Nicky Hayden on Pole @ Laguna Seca

Unilat

Go Nick! Smoked the competition for his first Pole in MotoGP racing. As for the thread subject, this guy (no relation to the Cricket phenom from Australia, just in case you were wondering) is a 23 year old Kentuckian and really head on shoulders guy that graduated from the American National racing scene a couple years ago.

For those of you who like bikes, used to like bikes, think you might like bikes, or even if you don't like bikes, or you just like good racing, be sure to catch the MotoGP race from Laguna Seca tomorrow. MotoGP is the top level racing series for Motorcycles, and is roughly analagous to F1 for cars. Except passing actually occurs on the racetrack! This years series has seen some very good, close racing, and this race in particular is notable in that it is the first GP in the U.S. in 11 years.

MotoGP bikes by rule are a prototype class, meaning no production-based engine parts can be used. As a result, there are a variety of engine configurations - V-4 (Ducati and Suzuki), Inline 4 (Yamaha and Kawasaki), V-5 (Honda and Proton) and V-6 (Blata).

The general format is a maximum displacement of 990cc and weight around 330 pounds (for 4 or 5 cylinder machines - slightly less for <3 cylinders, more for 6+). These bikes currently produce at least 250 hp and the best are hitting 215mph during races. Oh, and they are also LOUD, allowed a 130 dB limit on exhaust! I'll let Boxer explain how freaking load that is. My wife (also an audiologist) questions the sanctioning body's sanity for allowing that.

Take a gander, and check out http://www.superbikeplanet.com for lots more info and pictures. This is good stuff :D

Yeah we know that, well me anyways. Great to see an American doing well in MotoGP for the first time in a long time.

Thanks for posting up.

Ada///M.

Nicky Hayden the cricketer is a legend as well............ Aussie Aussie Aussie....

Archived