LegacyGT.com

Need new rims but don't know brands

UTwrestler22

"The Most Advanced Technology (M.A.T) combines one-piece cast wheel technology with a rim forming technology called spinning process. Using this new technology of casting and rim forming by M.A.T process, is critical to improve drastically the material property and strength of the wheels."

From tirerack on spin forming:

"This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel without the high cost of the forging. Some of the special wheels produced for the O.E.M. high performance or limited production vehicles utilize this type of technology resulting in a light and strong wheel at a reasonable cost. BBS has used this technology for several years in their production of racing wheels for Formula One and Indy cars. BBS's RC wheel for the aftermarket is an example of a wheel produced using spun rim technology."

The wheels are cast, then spun FORMED, not forged. a "Spin-forging" process would not even be possible, since the design is created by pressing an aluminum billet into shape under extreme pressure.

You're wrong, and tire rack is mixing up the issue. Using rollers to press the rim into shape while cold/warm is absolutely a type of forging. It is used to cold work the rim and create grain structure, resulting in a stronger rim section. The wheel starts out as a casting, reducing overall expense, then the rim is formed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forging

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wKsKdH43_U&feature=related]wheel flow forming-spinning machines - Global Metal Spinning Solutions - DENN USA Metal Forming - YouTube[/ame]

The boxes for my TSW's say "rotary forged" on them. I've also owned enkei MAT wheels. Both are light, strong, and reasonably priced.

Rotary forged = spun forged = metal spinning. They are all processes where a rotating cold or warm metal item is pressed into shape.

You're wrong, and tire rack is mixing up the issue. Using rollers to press the rim into shape while cold/warm is absolutely a type of forging. It is used to cold work the rim and create grain structure, resulting in a stronger rim section. The wheel starts out as a casting, reducing overall expense, then the rim is formed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forging

The boxes for my TSW's say "rotary forged" on them. I've also owned enkei MAT wheels. Both are light, strong, and reasonably priced.

Rotary forged = spun forged = metal spinning. They are all processes where a rotating cold or warm metal item is pressed into shape.

Touche, but the Enkei's still arent a true forged rim.

Touche, but the Enkei's still arent a true forged rim.

None of them are a "true forged rim". They start with a casting, and the spokes remain cast.

I feel that the rotary forged wheels provide excellent value. I paid about $925 for my tsw nurburgring's last year and a bit under $900 for enkei MAT wheels years ago. Rota's are about $700ish?

For $200ish more you get a forged barrel that is stronger and a wheel that that is overall stronger and/or lighter than a cast wheel. You're getting much of the advantage of a fully forged wheel without paying $2000+ for a set.

None of them are a "true forged rim". They start with a casting, and the spokes remain cast.

I feel that the rotary forged wheels provide excellent value. I paid about $925 for my tsw nurburgring's last year and a bit under $900 for enkei MAT wheels years ago. Rota's are about $700ish?

For $200ish more you get a forged barrel that is stronger and a wheel that that is overall stronger and/or lighter than a cast wheel. You're getting much of the advantage of a fully forged wheel without paying $2000+ for a set.

I agree. They are a relatively good value.

Will the enkei edr9's fit or not? Both 17 and 18 inch are available. Are they gonna be strong? all you bastards getting so damn technical all the time hahaha

Yes they will fit. It would be good to know offset, tire size, and wheel width you are looking at to better explain the fit, bit in laments terms yes. Enkei's are pretty quality wheels.

Technicalities save dollars.

A friend of mine had the 18" EDR9's, loved the look. The offset on his was about 38 (although I think they do make it in a 45 as well), so you will likely rub under load/acceleration, but you've got someone local that will do a fender roll for a good price, check out the UT spotted thread!

Archived