LegacyGT.com

97 OB hard shift problem.

Hey all, just bought a stock 97 OB and I'm trying to work through all the quirks that come with a used car. Most of the stuff I have been able to figure out with my own mechanical knowledge. But I can't pin down what my car shifts so hard.

When the AT shifts into 2nd, I wouldn't say it slams, but it's pretty hard. And from 2nd to 3rd, There is a SIGNIFICANT loss of power for a couple seconds and then everything returns to normal.

When my wife isn't in the car an I'm hard on the gas, it slides right through the gears like butter. I thought the fluid was too old and thin, so I had the trams serviced. No dice.

Any info is appreciated, I just really hope that no one tells me the trans needs replacing, because that's what I think it is.

Thanks in advance.

It's normal.

Yeah, I know. That sound stupid. Every single one of these cars develops that problem once you hit high miles. Mine does the same thing. The shift from 1-2 can be a fairly violent jerk/jolt, and the harder you are accelerating, the smoother it is.

Same with the 2-3 shift. You kind of hit some sort of "half-shifted" lull for a few seconds before it completes the shift.

Some people have had mild success in reducing the severity of the problem by doing a bunch of fluid changes, or other things, but at the end of the day, short of a rebuild you can't really make it go away. It's not a sign that the transmission is on its last legs necessarily. Mine is at 255k now and has been doing that for at least the past 50k. Those two issues just kind of show up, and you learn to live with them.

Also, doing a fluid change/flush on an older transmission is kind of like playing Russian Roulette. I would just leave it be. The transmission is likely fine otherwise.

Archived