LegacyGT.com

Vibration, shake when in gear at idle....

Looks like the best pricing (that I've fetched) for a new Subaru driveline is $490.00

I'm headed out his morning to a local shop where we'll remove the, in the way, exhaust and inspect the driveline. When driving the OB XT there's an ever so faint bearing noise. Maybe its the Koolaide.... we'll see.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

• 1 year later...

Sounds exactly what I'm dealing with and the same work-around by shifting to neutral. Or reverse.

Was this problem resolved?

I noticed the problem starting after getting one of my half shafts replaced. It was an aftermarket part. It seems counter-intuitive though, but I'm hopeful since replacing half shafts with factory parts would be cheaper than a transmission rebuild.

The problem was ultimately resolved. I say ultimately because the source of the vibration was what the factory Subaru Rep termed as "tolerance stack up" . This is were more than one component is on the verge of being out of spec... "sounds like snake oil !" We had the very same "tolerance stack up" with our UrS6 Audi wagon, only the service issue was on Audi USAs $dime and that issue was limited to the front suspension components. The UrS6 had only 40,000 miles at the time. Anyway.....

$3,000. was the bill for the Subaru OB XT.... Plugs-coils-injectors-all, half shafts, motor mounts, trans mount, *rear wheel bearing (*not related but needed) etc. Its been 10,000 miles since the remedy and all is OK.

The use of this OB is 90% hwy driving each week, then parked inside at the airport.

Its a pretty easy life for a car. Approx 82,000mi is on the clock since new in 11/2004.

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

The problem was ultimately resolved. I say ultimately because the source of the vibration was what the factory Subaru Rep termed as "tolerance stack up" . This is were more than one component is on the verge of being out of spec... "sounds like snake oil !" We had the very same "tolerance stack up" with our UrS6 Audi wagon, only the service issue was on Audi USAs $dime and that issue was limited to the front suspension components. The UrS6 had only 40,000 miles at the time. Anyway.....

$3,000. was the bill for the Subaru OB XT.... Plugs-coils-injectors-all, half shifts, motor mounts, trans mount, *rear wheel bearing (*not related but needed) etc. Its been 10,000 miles since the remedy and all is OK.

The use of this OB is 90% hwy driving each week, then parked inside at the airport.

Its a pretty easy life for a car. Approx 82,000mi is on the clock since new in 11/2004.

That's a really expensive repair for just 82K.

Expensive, you're not kidding and at only 6 or 7 years old and 71k miles; $3K.

Plus, the rear wheel bearing was the second time this failure type was addressed. The first RWB replacement was on SOAs $dime although the drivetrain warranty had timed out, there was a SOA warranty extension because of many failed RWBs. Their notice indicated a production period where a RWB supplier was the culprit. When the second (left side this time) RWB went out on this original owner-regularly serviced Outback, SOA told me to shite-in-my-hat.

With current Tech rates and the cost of OEM parts,,, $3,000 sneaks up fast. We have a luv/hate relationship with this car as we came out of a MY96 Audi S6 wagon of ten years. Great car the S6 wagon... I miss that sucker. After 10 years and 95k miles it was as solid as the day we took delivery. The uber ski wagon... and totally under the radar. The Recaro black leather interior (complete with a station wagon "wayback" seat) was a thing of beauty. Audi interiors are tier one.

Oh well,,, the OB XT with the JDM Bilstein BTS suspension will have to do. Now if only the brakes we're waaaaay better.

That's a really expensive repair for just 82K.

Cheers, Mike

Expensive, you're not kidding and at only 6 or 7 years old and 71k miles; $3K.

Plus, the rear wheel bearing was the second time this failure type was addressed. The first RWB replacement was on SOAs $dime although the drivetrain warranty had timed out, there was a SOA warranty extension because of many failed RWBs. Their notice indicated a production period where a RWB supplier was the culprit. When the second (left side this time) RWB went out on this original owner-regularly serviced Outback, SOA told me to shite-in-my-hat.

With current Tech rates and the cost of OEM parts,,, $3,000 sneaks up fast. We have a luv/hate relationship with this car as we came out of a MY96 Audi S6 wagon of ten years. Great car the S6 wagon... I miss that sucker. After 10 years and 95k miles it was as solid as the day we took delivery. The uber ski wagon... and totally under the radar. The Recaro black leather interior (complete with a station wagon "wayback" seat) was a thing of beauty. Audi interiors are tier one.

Oh well,,, the OB XT with the JDM Bilstein BTS suspension will have to do. Now if only the brakes we're waaaaay better.

You my friend are going to replace this car as soon as you feel you've got your 3K out of it.

Archived