LegacyGT.com

Rolling tire, ahhh!

revD

I have been loving my LGT and decided to take her to the track with my buddies while we learned Buttonwillow in preparation for our next LeMons race.

Car + Mods 2005 LGT Sedan, stock springs + Struts (135k), Whiteline sways, STI BBS, 235/45/17 Hankook V12's

NOW - Look at this video, I started the day with ~35psi in all tires and the tire movement on the below video is scary. I then increase PSI throughout the day, but can this be due to too large of a tire on the rim or PSI?

Definition of rolling a tire:

Weak sidewalls are usually from cheap tires.

An inexpensive solution is to get 'lower profile' tires. IE

Instead of running

215/55/16

Run

225/40/16

The middle number denotes the ratio and changes how much sidewall you have. The less sidewall the more 'stiff' it will feel and be.

Most people recommend 225mm max on a 7.5" rim.

The V12's do say they work on a 7.5" rim, but it seems like dropping down to 225/45 would help the issue. You'd have a slightly shorter sidewall and a tire width better matched to the rim size.

From the tires FAQ: "235/45/17 (tallest tire you could use under the GT due to possible suspension clearance issues, best used with an 8" wide wheel)"

I thought it might be pushing the 235 a bit even though it is listed on tire rack as OK for a 7.5" the tires were also chuncking and losing pieces all over the place - overall the tires are toast after 4 20min sessions.

The tires came on the car, and I do love the Dunlop Star specs, so maybe a set is in my near future @ the 225 width.

what PSI do you all run on the track with 17" wheels?

that is what I was running on the video (Hankook V12) I think I will try something I have experience with. The dunlop star specs have been amazing in my experience (2 sets on a different car)

I've just blown through a set of these tires. They provide excellent grip for the price. The only draw back is the sidewalls are softer than other tires I've own, and I had been running them with 38 - 40 psi in them to compensate for the weaker sidewalls.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Just going to echo what everyone else said.

Stock is 215/45/17. You're doing 235/45/17. Your sidewalls are 235*45% = 105.75 mm. Stock is 96.75. Your sidewall is 9mm taller, resulting in your overall diameter being 18mm greater, throwing off your speedo by about 3%.

Why are you running 235/45 instead of 235/40? Extra comfort cushioning? Pothole protection?

Also, agree with the others. I used to have 225/45/17 on my stock 17x7 rims, and it was bulging a tiny bit. I went back to 215/45/17 to square things off. I also run them in the winter now... Better to have a slightly narrower tire to cut through snow.

My summer wheels are 18x7.5 225/40 and they are just the right width.

If I were you, I'd go to 225/45 and it should be nice and squared up.

Or get larger rims to reduce the sidewall even further... Your call.

In conclusion, in my experience:

7" rim = 215 wide tire

7.5" rim = 225 wide tire

Archived