LegacyGT.com

Downpipes: Divorced vs. Non-Divorced

paintpollz

• Mega Users

This thread is primarily for the benefit/education of myself, hopefully it will help others. I bought used Perrin 1 Piece Catted DP that I've mated to my VF46 and stock CBE. In most situations, the car is much more pleasant to drive around in, now that I don't have the moaning and growning of the old Megan Racing CBE. Plus, I'm not sure there is another exhaust setup that looks as good as the stock cans tucked real nice.

Anyways, I'm looking for more info on the performance differences between divorced and non divorced (bellmouth) downpipes. I've looked at some threads on Nasioc that say the divorced pipes will allow for more top end, others say its to keep the flow of the turbine as smooth as possible. Honestly, it all sounds like straight BS:rolleyes:

Like I said before, in most situations, the car is much more pleasant to drive, exhaust tone wise. Where it falls short, is anywhere between 2600-3400 rpms. There is a moan in that rev range, not extremely viscous, but enough to be unpleasant on the highway with the music turned off. Some people I've talked to said that its the wastgate flapper hitting the divorced section in the DP:lol:. I think its the way the exhaust is flowing through the pipe, and the divorced piece in the pipe is causing a moan and groan that a conventional bellmouth design would not.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users
I was paranoid about the grinding when I installed my divorced dp but never had any grinding happen. Was it just a certain batch or something?

I'm almost certain that I do not have the problem with the flapper hitting. I believe the noise is coming from the flow of the exhaust.

I'm guessing it has something to do airflow between with the stock UEL, coupled with the Perrin 3" dp, to the stock CBE, that's making this exhaust tone. There are no leaks in the system. The noise is more noticable during decel of course, but still holds a tone under cruise.

Wishing someone had a similar setup so I could compare

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Archived