LegacyGT.com

need help!!! with my 97 legacy wagon

i bought this RHD subi yesturday and i drove it today for the first time and it started to over heat. I was doing the simple checking like step by step what could it be but then i notice that the fans arent moving. the fuses are good but they arent moving. i put a wire from the fan to the battery and its working fine but i gotta take out the wire when i turn the car off. what could be the problem?? im new to subis so idk what im doing? lol

If its over heating and your fans aren't working I'd try the fans first but if the overheating problem persists after that I'd get your head gaskets checked. Its a very common problem.

I'm assuming you have a 95 2.2, correct?

Either the wires could be bad, or you can have another issue entirely.

Usually if there is any issue with the fans not turning on a code would be throw and the CE engine light would pop on. However, if you have a 95 and you're on the OBDI system it won't. The issue could be with the ECU not relaying information correctly, it may not be reading the temp correctly, or your the temp sensor could be having issues.

Do the fans turn on, on their own, at all during idle?

The fans also won't activate when the car is driving over a certain speed.

During what driving conditions does the car start to over heat?

How much does it overheat?

Is there any coolant overflow?

Oh cool. most RHD wagons I've seen are 95's.

The ECU reads the engine temperature. It will turn the fans on when the coolant reads a certain temperature. When the fans don't turn on, the temperture won't decrease much, if any, the ECU will read that, and then pop a code that leads back to the fans not turning on.

You most likely have a electrical hardware issue somewhere. But you're really going to have to pinpoint it yourself. Have you checked any of the relays?

Archived