LegacyGT.com

To all xt drivers/owners: Clutch options?

Alright, I think I need to start the search for a clutch. Asking all XT owners to what clutch they prefer. I have been leaning to the SPEC (i think) because it offers a lightweight flywheel.

LET IT BE KNOWN, I AM A NOVICE AROUND CLUTCHES, THIS IS MY FIRST MANUAL TRANS CAR, AND I'VE BEEN DRIVING FOR 14 YEARS. I UNDERSTAND HOW THEY WORK, JUST LOOKING FOR INPUT ON A NICE CHOICE FOR THE CAR.

NOW, I'm looking for a streetable clutch that can handle up to a stage 2.5 tune.

I'm currently working with the factory trans, clutch, etc.

I currently have a stage 1.5-2ish (not sure, but there is the mod list: gutted up-pipe, vf52 turbo with stockish tune, but 19psi max boost, stock downpipe, magnaflow 3" catback. Tuned to use 93 only.)

My goal is to have entire exhaust-header,up-pipe, down-pipe, catback; up the tune to support 22-24psi, inc injectors+fuel pump+tune+boost control solenoid+possible big top-mount intercooler

so with the the list done, who has used what clutch, with your opinions?

Lightweight flywheel worth the headache of CEL from crank sensor?

Can the CEL be 'tuned' out?

I am looking for a stock-ish feel for the clutch, but more holding power for launches, but something that is forgiving enough to not grenade my trans. I already am looking to replace the trans, because(unlike most people, I admit to) I am destroying my trans with hard fast shifts, and missed shifts. But to my defense, the trans case looks new, after I had purchased the car with 120K miles over a year ago. But if I can nurse it for as long as I can I will.

Wes.

MY Southbend Stage3 organic is nice and you won't notice any pedal feel difference from stock.

Have had both ACT and Centerforce in the past, ACT holds nice, but way too much noise.

Reconsider the lightened flywheel and just do the WRX flywheel if that's an option, the LGT doesn't like lightened flywheels very much. I have to use a lot of finesse not to chatter. The gains (practically none) aren't worth the change in drivability. The CEL is only when you go super light.

That's what I would do if I did it again. I've had a lightened flywheel in other cars and it never made them nearly as finicky as this one makes the car. I got it from mwiener2 who removed it for the same reason.

The Southbend clutch I suggested isn't cheap, $550 IIRC. But the pedal feel is nice, it holds great, and it doesn't have the problems that I had with ACT and Centerforce. Your mileage may vary.

Archived