LegacyGT.com

Loss of All Electrical Power

Recently my legacy gt has been just cutting all electrical power when I'm coming up to a stop light and slowing down here's what happens step by step

1. lose all electrical power, gauges go to zero, radio turns off, lights turn off

2. the car shudders (probably because it is still in gear it is an automatic) with the shuddering is a quiet whine

3. The car turns back on all by its self about a second after it loses power and then everything is perfectly normal

little more info:

i know i have an exhaust leak i am fixing it today it is really bad and it is possibly the o2 sensors could be screwing with the idle but they wouldn't cut the engine and definitely couldn't cut all electric power am i correct?

is it possible a ground came loose somewhere and im hitting a bump and its cutting electric power?

the car has done this three times now twice in the same spot but it doesn't happen everyday it happened twice last week and once this week

any suggestions would be great thanks.

Get the battery checked at an auto place for free..

Get the alternator checked too.

Run a scan of your car with an OBD2 scanner.

The exhaust leak might be creating some weird back pressure issue, causing the engine to stall.

If you go to a salvage yard/ pick and pull place, you can get a good cheap exhaust for fee usually, you will just have to install it which isnt hard. Just jack the car up and make sure you use jack stands.

Let me know how it works out.

A similar incident happened to me before but on an old non-turbo mitsu. All dashboard lights blinked rapidly like a xmas tree for a few seconds then complete blackout, including all exterior lights. Engine still running though, stick shift, but blind as a bat as I was driving around midnight. Thankful flashers still functional. Anyway, auto electrician checked & re-wired suspicious connections as necessary - all the way from the fuse box. This guy was good & he suspected a short somewhere. Got it fixed in the end.

Hope your insight on my story helps somewhat.

i tightened one of my battery connections and a couple grounds that were loose i think that may have been my problem and something was just coming disonnected when i hit a bump but it hasnt hpapended since i tightened the stuff so i will keep you posted

Archived