LegacyGT.com

Underseat sub or amplifier?

ericgu

I'd like some input on a decision I'm trying to make...

I have an 2007 Outback base model. It currently has the following system:

* Alpine CDA-117B

* JL Audio C3-650 speakers in the front doors, with tweeters in the stock location (haven't decided yet whether you relocate them).

* JL Audio C2-650X in the rear doors (for when people ride with me).

* Full dynamat on all four doors.

I'm looking for more bass - not thumping bass, but enough to fill in the bottom end. I don't want to do the stealthbox route because of the space required.

I'm trying to decide whether to go with an underseat sub (and if so, which one), or whether to buy a 4 channel amp and put more power into the mains.

Those speakers will all be happier with more power. If you're looking for bass though nothing will satisfy you like a real designated sub. If you're dead set against a stealth box then I vote 5 channel amp and a slim 10 under the seat.

ELemental designs makes a pretty nice affordable slim 10 that can perform well on way less than 200 watts.

What about the stereoclarity spare tire sub option? I too did not want to give up space, but this solution allows the best of both worlds. No space lost, and you can use a real sub. Not the half assed under seat excuse some might call a subwoofer. :lol:

Alfred,

For elemental I found their slim-line sub; is there an enclosure you know of that would work well with it.

KUSoob - thanks for the stereoclarity link. In my outback I have the foam tray, a pressboard sheet, the carpet, and then the rubber tray. Which ones of those would I have to give up to use the stereoclarity box?

KUSoob - thanks for the stereoclarity link. In my outback I have the foam tray, a pressboard sheet, the carpet, and then the rubber tray. Which ones of those would I have to give up to use the stereoclarity box?

Not exactly the OB, but here's the stereoclarity box in a GT.

http://www.stereoclarity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/legacybox005-1.jpg

Pictures of my rides;

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr old whip[/url]

Current Wagon

I never really found a pre-made box that would fit what I needed. I made one that worked out fine though. MDF is cheap at home depot.

This pre-made one might fit, I know the factory powered sub has a little extra space untere there (very little) but I don't know about 5"

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/ATREND-10SME-10-Inch-Shallow-Enclosure/dp/B003GSLDOA]Amazon.com: ATREND 10SME 10-Inch B Box Series Single Shallow Mount Sealed Enclosure: Car Electronics[/ame]

The spare tire option without losing the space tire is pretty sweet actually. I hadn't thought of that.

Alfred,

For elemental I found their slim-line sub; is there an enclosure you know of that would work well with it.

Just the foam organizer tray. Just take that out, wrap up the tools in some towels, and throw them back in there.

The spare tire option without losing the space tire is pretty sweet actually. I hadn't thought of that.

It is a good idea - until the time comes when you actually need the tire.

Basically, after having gone through it in my last car (and friend's Altima), you want to either ensure that you have enough wiring to easily remove the sub-box when needed, or use easy off connectors (rather than needing a tool to remove).

Pictures of my rides;

2001 Honda Civic LX 4dr old whip[/url]

Current Wagon

If you keep that in mind while setting it up you should have no problem keeping it easy to remove to get to the spare.

An extra 2 feet of speaker wire shouldn't hurt anything. I would like to see it secured somehow in case of a roll over so you don't end up with a sub box through your head though. Maybe you could use something like a battery strap or bolts with wing nuts to keep it tight. This might also prevent any vibrations against the spare that could occur.

Edit - I have a wagon so I forgot you have a trunk that should keep it in back in the event of a rollover. My bad. Securing it can't hurt though :)

Archived