LegacyGT.com

Same Newbie, same engine removal, different question...lol

So I have been looking at and pricing this and that, and machine shops, and headgasket kits, and timing belt kits, and it looks like I am going to be about $700 plus or minus into this thing with parts and pieces....I also know I can get a good used motor with about 50k for around $800...would it make since to just swap the motor? Then I could rebuild mine and have it ready for when the other one dumps its lunch...wadyathink?;)

That depends on the used motor. What type of engines are we talking about? What is in your car and what are you wanting to swap in? Even though the used motor has 50k, while it is out and accessible you should at least do the timing unless it has just been done. If the used motor is in good shape, it probably won't 'dump it's lunch' anytime soon.

If the used motor is a 2.5 I would replace the headgaskets now to prevent future problems.

It all depends on what you wanna do... personally buying a did motor is a risk. You never know whether or not that was a rough 50k miles. If your current motor runs well I would simply put the new parts in there. Remember we drive subarus.. they are well known for going over the 300k mark.

Time is my issue, I can swap the motors in a good weekend, but doing the headgaskets is going to put my family in a one car situation for a while. Once i swap the motor with a good used one, then I have all the time in the world to go through this one and get it ready to go to 300k. I dunno, I am just thinking out loud so to speak....the more I think about it, the better of an idea is sounds like.

The car is a 1997 Legacy GT with the 2.5.

Changing the head gaskets and all the other goodies on your engine will be as easy as pull it out and change it. Me and a buddy(who really didn't do much was just there to tell me what to do) did it all in 6 hours. and that was my first time.

It took me a long time to replace my HGs. I took me a week just to get the engine out. But there were a lot of rusty bolts and I had never done it before. A lot of people will say how quick they can pull an engine out, i.e. two hours or so. But if you don't have experience or a friend that is there that knows what they are doing and can help you out it may take you a while to do the whole job. Read up on how to do every step before you actually do it.

If you want to do an EJ22E non interference swap they are in Legacies from 90-96 maybe even a few 97s. You will lose some power compared to the 2.5, but I have a 2.2 in my wagon w/5MT and it is plenty of power.

The cheapest and easiest would just be to keep your 2.5 and replace the HGs. But since it will be out replace whatever else you can get your hands on.

Archived