LegacyGT.com

Better tire size then stock

downtoearth

Tire Option  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Tire Option

• Yokohama S.Drive
    • Continental ExtremeContact DW

I am looking for a more "filling" and slightly wider tire to use on my stock 08 2.5I NA with 17 inch wheels

after hours and hours of reading reviews i'm going with the Conti DW's OR Yokohama's S.Drive im still not 100% sure

specs call for a 205/50/17

has anyone had issues with a 215 or 225

Is it still pretty level with rim or is it bulging out at this size.

Would a 55 fill the gaps between fender better?

how would going with larger height and width then stock affect handling no difference or make it sloppy

any suggestion, comments, or straight up criticism ;) will be appreciated!

If your driving in CT you should go with the DWS's.

As long as you have 7 inch wide wheels you can use 215/45R17's or 225/45R17. I currently run the 225's on my 17 x 7's and my spedo is dead accurate.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Closest to stock is 225/45 17. 215/45 17 is also okay.

If you're looking to fill the gap, you need an overall larger wheel (tire+rim), which means you would have to throw off your speedometer and gearing and all that. How that would effect handling is that if you 17 inch rims, and you're sticking with 17, then the only way to enlarge the overall diameter to fill the gap would be to get more tire.

Rubber is soft and pliable. If you got a 205/55 instead of a 205/50, you'd have a taller sidewall. It might fill the gap, but your handling would suffer as a result. Things would feel mushier and less responsive, and in cornering the tire would deflect more.

A 215 width tire I feel is a good width for a 7" wide rim. I had both 215 and 225 and I can tell you that 225 looks fine, but it doesn't "square" perfectly with the wheel either. Of course, this can depend on a few things, such as inflation pressure and the tire sidewall stiffness (which varies from brand to brand.) I ran with 35/33 front/rear pressure on 225s. 215/45 definitely squares better.

and the only reason im considering DW and not DWS is that my car is garaged 1 month during the winter when i'm home for winter break, i'm out in arizona for the rest of it, car is home in

CT: summer

arizona: fall, winter, spring

update:

getting DWS put on the car, i'll take advantage of the 30 day satisfaction warranty, if the sidewall softness bothers me i will put the DW's

seems better to have a longer tread-life for almost the same price

sorry to keep blowing up this thread

initial impression, "shit i made a mistake"

DiscountTire put them at 40, 40 front and rear so their as high in psi as i want them

taking a trip to phoenix tonight hopefully they shape up

Archived