LegacyGT.com

Stoptech pads - did yours come with shims?

lingling1337

I think mine had integrated backing plates on the pads (with a wear indicator finger), not a separate removable shim. It's been a couple of years since I installed them.

the outers on mine had a sort of extended wear indicator but nothing that would constitute a full shim. Guess I'll have to order some new ones cus the old look like crap.

I think mine had integrated backing plates on the pads (with a wear indicator finger), not a separate removable shim. It's been a couple of years since I installed them.

I just installed a set of front an rear pads and I can vouch for this. The shim comes affixed from Stoptech. I didnt need any additional parts. No squeaks, no noise.

I also found this from Stoptech: "StopTech Street Performance Brake Pads feature mechanically-attached, application-specific shims. These shims provide superior noise abatement compared to the adhesive or drift-lock style shims utilized by other brake pad manufacturers. "

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology here. I was talking about abutment clips, not the shims that go on the back of the pad.

Though its pretty apparent now that StopTechs dont come with any additional hardware. Would've been nice just cause I like new hardware but oh well.

By the way, I flushed my brakes and the pedal is a bit mushy with the car (vacuum) on. Stiffens right up when it's off. Does this sound more like air in the lines or a BMC problem?

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology here. I was talking about abutment clips, not the shims that go on the back of the pad.

Though its pretty apparent now that StopTechs dont come with any additional hardware. Would've been nice just cause I like new hardware but oh well.

What's weird is that the posi-quiets do now ship w/ pad clips - but the ST won't.

Dealer ones usually do - most aftermarket do not.

I had planned on using nothing between the piston and the ST pads. They didn't come with extra shims or clips, and I don't have the ones that came with the stock pads.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I agree you definitely need the clips, they keep the pad secured. I'm referring to the pads for the backing of the pad.

That's the 'pad clips' - what the pad rides in. Certainly required.

I definitely have those on the car.

I agree you definitely need the clips, they keep the pad secured. I'm referring to the pads for the backing of the pad.

Correct. Those backing plates are not required. The pistons can act directly on the back of the pad without worry.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

If you try to use the OEM shims with HPS pads, they dont fit. Pads become too thick overall to actually be installed. You dont use shims. Stoptech have integrated shims and require nothing more. HPS come with some "grease" for the back of the pads, Stoptech does not (good idea to add your own).

Archived