LegacyGT.com

Problems seating torque converter in auto trans

In replacing a Subaru 1995 Legacy trans, the torque converter has become unadjusted and is no longer seated properly. Have made many (gentle) attempts to get it back into the trans housing with no luck so far. At first, telescope-like sections of pipe (6-10 inches, including one with a notched circlip) came out of the housing with the TC drum -- but now only the first section of pipe (3-4 inches long, with the 2 half-inch wide notches) comes out of the housing.

I think some sections might be slightly jammed. Can anyone point me to a systematic procedure for reseating the torque converter components?

Thanks,

Rob

Question 1:

The tranny is sitting next to the car. Should I replace that main seal on the tranny before I (make attempt #2) to install it into the car?

Question 2:

How should I seat/index the converter? According to this post (see diag on post):

http://www.justanswer.com/subaru/4al5x-subaru-forester-install-subaru-forester-torque.html

There is an input shaft -- a solid bar going up the middle. This should stick out just over an inch from it's containing pipe. I've got that far.

Now -- there is an oil pump shaft with a circlip on it. I have teased this out into the open from it's containing pipe. If I understand this post correctly, it says that I have to remove this (oil pump shaft) completely and fix the oil pump shaft onto the shaft on the converter (about 3 inches long with 2 tabs on it) -- THEN carefully insert the torque converter drum *with oil pump shaft connected to it via circlip* -- then it should seat correctly to third "clicked" position --

Can anyone confirm this before I dismantle the thing any further?

Thanks,

Rob

Thanks, John,

Will do. Actually, I went ahead, followed the procedure outlined in the link in my post above, and actually got the TC reseated properly again. It seems to me that one does have to be sure that the circlip is engaged properly before attempting to seat the TC. Still -- I've just blundered into this & know next to nothing -- all I can say is -- worked for me.

Now, though, I have other issues. The circlip is slightly bent so I think I should order another. Also, the thin seal on the inner groove of the pump tube is split and I'm not sure if it should be like that or whether it's damaged. I'd like to order another but can't locate the part number at opposedforces.com -- off to ultimatesubaru --

Rob

• 6 years later...
This thread was especially helpful in getting my 97 Outback torque converter installed. Firstly, when I removed the engine for overhaul, I failed to follow the manual and decided that unbolting the torque converter was unnecessary. I removed the converter and engine without noticing a problem until I went to install. As described by Rb2n the oil pump shaft had to be fished out off of the input shaft. I immediately saw why it's so important to unbolt the converter. The converter and oil pump shaft are coupled by a cir-clip and there's no way to install the torque converter correctly if this is undone.

Archived