LegacyGT.com

A "shocking" discovery--pun intended

Well, when I changed my winter tires to summers, check out what I found on the attached pictures. The coil is seriously off and has slipped. What in the world would have caused this??

1. an overly exaggerated rebound?

2. shock not properly mounted?

3. :confused:

Edit: forgot to mention this is the rear right coil.

FLS_34952.thumb.jpg.86f82ecb79802ecd93c3452aec0d5308.jpg

FLS_34962.thumb.jpg.c4b5a173c3f0408fe9bd520ddac487dc.jpg

FLS_34972.thumb.jpg.8486e194a27745ab919e78445a479b7f.jpg

FLS_34992.thumb.jpg.c1b12c875ec6184bd8ef42096c892bd3.jpg

Yes it looks bent and has even been rubbing on the strut. I have no idea how this happened.

I have not tried jacking up the control arm but since the coil is sitting a bit off at the base, my guess is that it would not realign itself properly (since it even rubs).

May have to try taking it off and reposition it on the strut. Does the strut look damage or bent?

That's my plan while I wait to buy a new pair. The strut did not appear to leak and seemed fine. But now that I am looking at the first picture, it does not appear perfectly straight. How the heck did this happen man :mad:. Wondering if the bad Norwegian roads resulted in this (lots and lots of bouncing there). Car got beat up there. Poor thing..

IDK, must have hit something hard enough to tweak the spring or sturt. Guess you'll find out once you get it off the car. Good luck.

^^that's crazy. I know the rear end has bottomed out several times due to bad road conditions. And I do carry a 130 lbs speaker box in the trunk so that does not help..

The shock looks bent,any strange clunks or squeeks from back there?

^^yes. I do have clunky noise whenever the car is rocking side to side. I thought it was coming from the stock endlinks (I am using a whiteline RSB) but now I believe it is coming from this shock. I will rock the car myself and listen closely.

In any case, do you guys really believe a serious 'bounce' would cause this??

I don't know if its bent, does it look rotated? Can you see a spot where it used to rest on either the top or bottom? Im wondering if you some how turned it some degrees causing an odd compression.

If you look closely at the second picture I posted (click on it to enlarge it), I am pointing to where the spring was resting before, which is where it is supposed to rest. So yeah, somehow it shifted quite a bit. But I am just wondering how the spring moved off its proper location. I just have a hard time believing that bouncing, however extreme that may have been, caused this.

Looking at the first picture. Use a sheet of paper lined up on the left side of the shock body. As a sort of straight edge.... The shaft of the shock is at an angle to the shock body. The clunking noise you are hearing is a dead shock.

Looking at the first picture. Use a sheet of paper lined up on the left side of the shock body. As a sort of straight edge.... The shaft of the shock is at an angle to the shock body. The clunking noise you are hearing is a dead shock.

Yeah. I saw that too. I am just surprised it has not been leaking though. Hopefully this weekend I'll buy a coil spring compressor and will inspect the complete shock.

The shock might not be bent. The boot fits loosely, and the spring could just be pushing it off to the side.

Regardless, the strut needs to come off and the spring re-seated.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'd be sure to have a spring in hand in case you need it, in fact I would replace it anyway with the strut. Did you do any rally car jumping? :confused:

well, I sure won't have a new replacement in hand (in France right now). EDM replacement parts I believe are slightly shorter. Btw, if any could chime in, these are the part numbers I found: 20365AG010 - 20365AG020. If anyone would confirm that they could fit..

As for rally jumping, well..., I guess I did play in Moab 2 years ago (see avatar) in deep mud puddles but nothing too bouncy :rolleyes: or maybe?

But for reals, in Norway it was a nightmare cause you would drive 50mph and get surprised with nasty dips which made the car bounce like crazy..

Looks like it's not the spring to me. Really hard to 'bend' a spring. Strut however looks screwed up.

Maybe from off roading you've been doing?

Perhaps. I'll find out hopefully next week. Time for a Bilstein BTS 5056J kit from Japan? I wish..

But for reals, in Norway it was a nightmare cause you would drive 50mph and get surprised with nasty dips which made the car bounce like crazy..

Word.

Replaced the suspension on my Impreza at around 100k KM, now looking to replace suspension on the Lego at 85k KM.. :mad:

• 3 weeks later...
Word.

Replaced the suspension on my Impreza at around 100k KM, now looking to replace suspension on the Lego at 85k KM.. :mad:

^sorry to hear.

As a quick update, still have not readjusted the thing but I can confirm that there is no clunk at all coming from the strut. My clunk is coming from the stock endlinks. I've done several tests and do confirm.

Archived