LegacyGT.com

Wide or low?

Drogos

Putnam park and Joliet autobahn (full track - YES!!!!!) is approaching and I am still in the woods. Car is new to me so I am still trying to figure out a lot of things but I need to get facts straight on wheel/tire combo sooner rather then later.

I have quite a few options:

1) I can dismount 235/45/17 Direzzas that I have on 5x114 and put them on the new wheels. Don't like the idea because of the added cost of swapping tires. Another thing is this tire size is considered "too high" for track although I loved it on my previous car. 235/45/17 at > 40 psi was far surpassing what suspension could hold on Joliet autobahn. No doubt 235/40 would perform better but it is what it is...it's sitting there in my garage, perfectly healthy with at least 2/3 of the tread left so I have to seriously consider going that route.

2) I can sell of the above with obvious hit to my wallet and get a brand new set so here I would be open to any suggestions on what will work well with high speed AUTO X on spec b stock suspension. I was thinking 235/40/17 or 245/40/17 with alignment adjustment (0 camber ?)

3) or I can have just one "do it all" set up for both street and track. In that case I wouldn't want to go over 225 since car is DD, besides 225 is already to much on stock 7" rim in my opinion. I would be getting star specs again and these are usually wider so I would probably have to stick to 215.

All in all I am totally confused since I haven't had a chance to learn car limits just yet. I guess righ now I am trying to figure out what should be my priority. Keep the tire profile as low as possible and go with 215/225 on stockers or use wider tire with possibly high side wall and go as high with tire pressure as possible. I would like to keep it close to stock gearing. Any thoughts highly appreciated. Thanks

Archived