LegacyGT.com

Steering Wheel Shake at exactly 60 mph

Hey i have been having an issue with my steering wheel. The steering wheel shakes at exactly 60 mph and then goes away above 62 mph. Pretty soon I will be switching over to new summer times. The snows i have on now only have 2,000 miles on them. But does anyone have a clue of what it could be? ......Also posting a build thread soon, now that i have some more time. Checked the tires and they look completely normal and there isn't any uneven wear, this it could just be an amplitude of some frequencies at 60mph.

Well switching to summers soon so that's good. I thought if it was an out of balance tire, it would get progressively worse as the speed increases....but mine just goes away above 62mph..and doesn't happen until I reach 60 mph.

[

QUOTE=greek;3817844]Sweet thanks for the info

not so fast, Ive seen front wheel drive cars that even with different wheels and tires you cant get rid of a pesky high mph shimmy. I had gm fwd car I gave up trying to fix, just couldn't drive between 70-75 mph. Drove it that way for years! I kept expecting a wheel hub bearing or half shaft to go out but it never did.

I can't remember how many cars I've had that shook like that, and everytime, new tires took care of it. It may not be worth it to take it in and pay for a rebalance if you can wait until you need tires.

Don't worry about the bearings or axles being damaged by it, they really don't turn as fast as people think. For example, on my 96 Legacy Brighton(which shakes at 70 :lol:) with 185/70-14 tires, the tires rotate at 834 revs per mile. So at 60 the axles and bearings are at 834 rpm, not that fast compared to other parts of the car like engine and tranny.

You can rotate the tires to try to help. Generally if you feel it in the steering wheel it's the fronts, if you feel it in your seat, it's the rears.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to check the suspension and other components that hold the wheels on!

Good luck.

Oh, here's a tire size calculator to see how many revs per mile your tires are turning. It's been a very useful tool for me.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

• 2 months later...

My 2007 Forester does exactly the same thing: steering wheel/front wheels shake at 60 mph.

New tires, shakes, rotated tires (front to back) reduced but came back just the same. begins at 58, shakes to 62 with 60 being the peak.

Its not his tires.

Could be a damaged axle. I had a similar problem. Heard a pop pulling out of a driveway, and then from about 50-55 I'd get a nasty shimmy. I pulled it apart for fun and one of the bearings was just not there in the inner cv.

I just took my car in for repairs, not only was it shaking at 70, the inner edge of the tires were becoming very worn. Down to the cords actually. I found a lot of play in the tie rods. So new inner tie rods and boot, new tires all around, and a front end alignment. No more shake at 70.

Archived