LegacyGT.com

Left the dipstick out...

SubiPT

I've never posted before but done lots of reading and learned quite a bit on here. I recently replaced that terrible stock IC with the process west TMIC. Awesome IC and really happy with it. I removed the tranny dipstick during the install and didn't notice it was out till I saw it in the garage 2 days later. Prior to that it was running pretty rough after the install so I was happy that I found out why. Thought it might be the vacuum hoses but everything was connected. After the dipstick got put back it continued to run rough but it was about 50% better immediately and now (about 2 months later) it's about 95%. So the problem is when I let the clutch out to accelerate from stopped I hear a knocking/tapping and feel it through the clutch. If I let the clutch out slowly and let it engage then hit the gas just perfect it doesn't seem to do it (I think it may have happened when this all first started, can't remember). Or if I roll through the stop it never does it and it never happens in any other gear. I didn't wash my car and there was no rain or snow those 2 days I had the dipstick out. I suppose it's a possibility something could have gotten in. I haven't tried flushing the trans fluid yet.

Anyone heard of something like this? Do I just need a tune? I'm planning on getting a tune soon, I just want the UP and DP first. My car is basically stock; light weight crank pulley, TMIC and a rattling (heat shield) WRX UP, 05 OBXT stage 1 73000 miles.

Did you check the level of the fluid?

Even if that's not your issue, it would still be worthwhile changing it. With the cap off, dirt and other crap could get into it and cause wear on the gears. The few dollars it takes to change it is worth the thousands saved on a new transmission.

Archived