LegacyGT.com

Inadequte brakes

The Grimmspeed MCB did nothing for my 05 LGT, pedal still feels terrible. New pads were an improvement over stock, but the pedal feel is still worse than my other LGT. I bought a used STi master cylinder that I plan to swap in this summer that I anticipate will bring the pedal feel closer to that of my LGT with Brembo's at a significantly lower price point.

but i want the ability to turn those things off so i can not crash in circumstances where it hinders stopping ability.

Subaru VDC is great in that the off button turns the system completely off. Great for snow donuts heh. The ABS is still active though.

It's my opinion that the only real way to fix the issue is the master cylinder swap. Everything else is a bandaid. I did the mc/booster swap for under $100.

+1 the LGT brakes are sizable, and completely capable of stopping the car up to the ability of most any tire that owners have mounted. The issue is...they don't "feel" that way at all. Subaru likes to provide mushy pedals with easy effort. The MC swap addresses that.

Not to threadjack here, but did subaru make some changes to address this issue after 05? Though the brakes in my 08 do leave a lot to be desired, I also don't think they are as bad as they are portrayed in this thread. Maybe I am just blind because the LGT brakes are worlds better than the 03 WRX I used to have.

^^As far as I know all the parts are the same, some slight differences for the VDC cars but the basics are the same.

Really the focus here is not about capability the brakes are just fine on the street. If there is a stopping distance issue the tires are the problem, as it is the tire which actually stops the car. The problem is with "feel" so it is very subjective. If it feels good to you there is no problem at all!

I hated the brakes on my 08 even with upgraded pads/fluid and ss lines. The GS MCB was the missing piece and I no longer desire a BBK. The pedal is so much more linear and predictable. It is one of my favorite mods. It is interesting to see so many differing opinions on it though.

Archived