LegacyGT.com

Having trouble with gen 1 stereo wiring

Currently helping a friend with his gen 1 stereo wiring.

Following this:

http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/bcstereo/

Problems I have run into:

Constant 12 (Battery) doesn't seem to be constant, only when the key is turned acc does it provide power

Does the clock constantly stay on? Or is it suppose to? Not sure how to wire this to work :/ i'm assuming when the battery 12 is working correctly it turns on when acc is on and keeps memory?

This is driving me bat **** crazy -_- any help would be appreciated

If the constant isn't constant, then it isn't the constant. Lol. You'll have to do some digging. Do you have a 12v test light, by chance?

The clock on the stereo shouldn't be on constantly. The constant 12v line should provide the stereo with power to keep time when the car is off.

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

• 3 months later...

Nah not the stereo clock, the dash clock (it's jdm, gx 2.2l)

So i've been trying to help him again today, we decided to run a new lead from battery to constant 12v.

Pin 3 (constant 12) does not seem to be constant 12 as stated, when acc is on, pin 3 has power. Pin 1 which should be acc takes power from pin 3 to power clock and door open lights, reading lights etc.

Pin 4 being ground seems to be correct.

Pin 7 on second plug seems to be correct also.

So we merged the lead from battery with pins 1 and 3 and also to constant 12 on stereo, now stereo is constantly on lol. Clock on dash keeps time and the reading lights work when car is off like they're meant too.

Just means that now he needs to turn stereo off when he leaves car.

I'm really mindblown by this, there is no reason why it's working like this D: i've redone the whole loom 3 times now, all colours going where they're meant to.

Taking a volt meter to it this coming weekend, so much rage.

its very easy, go buy a 12v test lamp. test fuses or harness where radio is and youll figure it out.

if the lamp light ups with the key out thats 12v constant, used to keep clock correct and radio memory. you dont want stereo at 12v constant cause it can put a drain on the batt even when off.

If all else fails. Plan b. Run a seperate power wire (12ga) with a fuse from the battery. . headunit for the constant. It will be beefier and allow your new headunit to supply more power to the speakers. I use this with some high power speakers and the headunit doesn't dim under high load.

Thanks for that, yeah getting power to the unit isn't an issue at this stage lol more with the acc power side of it, are my assumptions on the clock and reading lights correct in that they should always have a constant to them?

Worst case scenario i'm assuming the cigarette lighter has acc constant and eart? Where could I find wiring diagram for this?

The cigarette lighter should be acc. You should have a wire to your stereo that's acc or shows 12v with the key on the first ignition click. To the factory radio Its a yellow/red(acc) wire. the constant wire is blue with red.The clock should be acc(but I don't have one nor could I find a diagram) and the maplights should be constant, they can turn on with no key.

Archived