LegacyGT.com

can someone answer this?

this all sounds like you have air in the system. air will travel to the highest point in the system. if you have air in it, it will sit right by the coolant temp sensor while idling since there isn't a sufficient amount of coolant in the area for the sensor to read. so it'll read hot. when you press the throttle, the coolant will circulate more vigorously and then the temp sensor will read it. i would first try to get the air out if there is any. and if you do change any of the cooling components this is necc.

the easiest method without vacuum assistance, is to raise the front of the car. jackstands or ramps work just fine. the goal is to get the radiator to be the highest point in the system. remove the cap (while its cold) and run the car with the heat on. keep a close eye on the coolant level in the radiator. when the air comes out it will drop. when the t-stat opens it will drop. and without the cap on it wont be able to draw coolant from the reservoir. so add some to it. keep doing this until you don't see any air coming out anymore. install the cap and allow it to run for a while. recheck your levels and you should be good.

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Archived