LegacyGT.com

Synthetic OR Dino ATF for '01 Legacy has start and Hard Brake Probs !

SubeeTedV

Hi ALL !

I have a 2001 Legacy GT Wgn, with 159 K miles on it. It has an Automatic transmission. It has, from what I am finding 2 typical problems ! The car runs starts fine ! NO CEL !!

One is hesitation into first gear when you first take off. I have added Trans X to try and fix this problem, it did work a little, it cut the hesitation time in half when I added it. All I did was add that, pulled some ATF out to do it.

The other problem I have is, it want's to stall upon hard breaking ! What I have done IS, replaced Brake Booster, it did have a little vac leak, it didn't do anything to help the prob.

I have cleaned the throttle body in hopes of cleaning the Idle Air Controller, it didn't help.

I have cleaned the IAC, did help a tiny bit, still stalls if I let it. ALL I have to do is lift my foot off the brake for a second.

So, I have a buddy of mine who is an SAE Mech. Id'e like him to drop the Pan, change that filter and the screw on one. The suspicion here is....the Torq Converter is locking up ! I think this is true because I have experimented in putting the tranny into "N", at known places were it wants to stall, it imediatly calmes down after you put it into "N". So my buddy suspect that there are switches that might be gotten to for the TC.

I know I can't replace even most of the ATF, but should I use Synth ATF, and what kind ????

Many thanks, SubeeTedV

Do a full fluid exchange at a shop that has a BG fluid exchange machine or something similar. Go either with Subaru's HPF fluid or just with the BG Universal Synthetic ATF that is usually used with these machines and is much less expensive. I would also go to Autozone or another shop and have any codes pulled that may not have triggered a CEL. Of course, none of this may help as the transmission may be on it's last legs. What is the maintenance history of the transmission?

I just checked the code. It was the Evac one. Cleared it, put a hundred miles on the car, hasn't come back.

The car is new to me, I've only had it 5K miles, don't know it's service record.

I was told NOT to do the total fluid evac thing because it loosens all the crud up, and just makes things worse.

What I'm hoping for is to drop pan, have my buddy do somehing he eluded to about switches that may get stuck that operate the Torq Converter. He is a ASE mech.

Then replace the filter in the pan, the screw on one, add Synth ATF, hope for the best !!

THANKS ! SubeeTedV

Archived