LegacyGT.com

Brake noise at 14K....

Hey all.

Anyone get any brake noise every once in a while.? I think the service manual suggests that you clean and grease the pads and rotors every 10K but I forgot. So thats what I did to all four corners. Problem solved.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Hey all.

Anyone get any brake noise every once in a while.? I think the service manual suggests that you clean and grease the pads and rotors every 10K but I forgot. So thats what I did to all four corners. Problem solved.

which page in the manual?

This Space For Rent

Check the section on maintenance schedule. Every 15K the brakes should be inspected. I noticed when I took the pads out they had some corrosion on the metal liners and they didn't have any grease between them.

Keefe....You know that special grease that goes on the metal liners behind the pads....? Well those were all rusted a little and had no grease on them. Thats where I suspect the noise came from or just brake dust buildup...

BTW....I only noticed one wear indicator one of the pad sets.?? Very strange.

Do some bedding and it should go away till the pad deposits wear off the rotor and you get the noise back.

At least that's how I'm coping with it till I get aftermarket pads with better material.

I keed I keeed

We've had brake squeak/squeal for about 5K miles now.

Yes, it's only sometimes, but a brand new car shouldn't have squeaky brakes.

I guess I'll be doing it myself, as it'll be a full wasted day trip to the dealer for this. :rolleyes:

i have 7000 miles on the car and already need to reface my rotors and my breaks squeek horribly... also in my opinion, Subaru made a really poor breaking system for the LGT.. too much power and weight for such weak breaks

Brakes are not weak.

I can stop on a dime with the stock brakes, but the stock tires, RE92s, lock up and ABS kicks.

You need to change the stock tires because they are the problem and teh suck, but I've learned their adhesion limits and take that into account.

The only problem with the brake system, is the pad material. It unevenly deposits on the rotors under hard driving and causes brake shake(rotor warp).

I keed I keeed

You just smear it all over the back (Metal portion) of the pad with your finger. Especially where the pad contacts the caliper.

I use it on EVERY disc brake job I've done.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes I just noticed this for the first time today (12k Miles). I thought that was a little soon for brakes, especially the way I brake (nice and easy). And after chceking them out, the pads look like new.

For being such large rotors/capilers (according to the stats) these brakes suck. I will definitely be replacing the tires with something else in the near future.

Archived