LegacyGT.com

rusted brake discs already?

i have about 3500 miles on the car. ive noticed yellowish/orangy layers of something (maybe rust) form on the discs front and back. the front is more noticeable since they are bigger. but why is this occurring? after driving and braking they are gone when i park it, but when coming back out to the car that same stuff is there. this is probably a pretty naive post, but i am concerned a little. it just looks bad. kinda annoying too. i dont even live by the beach. so its not like salt is getting to it or anything. let me know...

Guest *Jedimaster*
Humidity will do it. It's harmless- ever look at them after you wash your car? It's just surface rust and nothing to worry about.

i have about 3500 miles on the car. ive noticed yellowish/orangy layers of something (maybe rust) form on the discs front and back. the front is more noticeable since they are bigger. but why is this occurring? after driving and braking they are gone when i park it, but when coming back out to the car that same stuff is there. this is probably a pretty naive post, but i am concerned a little. it just looks bad. kinda annoying too. i dont even live by the beach. so its not like salt is getting to it or anything. let me know...

They are iron. They oxidize/rust. As soon as you drive and apply the brakes its gone. Dont worry about it its normal.

This isn't the case as much anymore, but back in the day (on bikes), rust on the disk was a sign of high quality equipment. Makers who went for a highly rust resistant disk material ended up with disks that looked better, but had a lower coefficient of friction. The Brembos of the day would looked like sh1t after a rain, but they did the business - both because of a very high iron content.

This isn't the case as much anymore, but back in the day (on bikes), rust on the disk was a sign of high quality equipment. Makers who went for a highly rust resistant disk material ended up with disks that looked better, but had a lower coefficient of friction. The Brembos of the day would looked like sh1t after a rain, but they did the business - both because of a very high iron content.

Yeah, if you coat the disks with any anti-rusting agent they no longer are effective. They just don't grip as much as untreated bare steel.

Archived