LegacyGT.com

New headlights

Thank you. The next question is I guess to get projectors or not. What looks the best isn't as important to me as which one proforms the best. The cost of JDM used projectors costs about as much as a set of new USDM of headlamps. So why go projectors, what are the benifits, or draw backs? I don't want to use HID's in either.

Projectors outperform any non-projector headlight. Light output is much more focused and you have a wider and longer field of view than standard reflector beam headlights. The only drawbacks are that you will need to wire them in, and you should modify the cutoff since these cars were originally designed to be used on RHD cars.

Thing is though, they cost around $200 shipped to your door where you can usually find a great set of used USDM headlights for around $100 shipped.

ok thank you very much. If I was going to get USDM ones I'd buy new, mine are all hazed over. But I think I will get the projectors, know of a good place to get them? Ill put the male end of the 9007 bulb on the projector so it is plug n play.

If your USDMs are hazed, you can just clear them and make them look almost as good as new for a lot less than buying new headlights. Kits are about $30-40. Brand new USDM headlights will cost you a lot more than buying JDM projectors unless you find a really good deal.

Your JDMs will not be plug and play as kenny stated. There are some good writeups about how to do it. You can make it a bit less complicated depending on what you want to accomplish.

I wired my JDMs so that I can use the original halogen bulb setup, operational city lights, brights, and turn signals work properly. I then installed HIDs, and angel eyes which added a little complexity. I also made sure to to the UDSM light conversion and it was very worth it (you will have to take them apart to do so). The JDMs are simply amazing. They light up street signs over four blocks down with a sharp cutoff, and look cool as hell!

DSCF6485.thumb.JPG.235808e9ed385a4b077ec77a61a2bcff.JPG

DSCF6488.thumb.JPG.95807e07beb9e31f3e3b8bbe7cf811c5.JPG

DSCF6533.thumb.JPG.0823551d2163b0da70215c4256f25042.JPG

With regards to hazed headlights, I did this 6 months ago with a $20 3M Headlight Restoration Kit from Advanced Auto and a cordless drill. They are still clear 6 months later. Might be worth your time to try that too unless you really are looking to upgrade to projectors. I can tell you this alone made a huge difference in how much light I got out of these headlights. You don't realize how much that hazing blocks and diffuses your lights until you clear them up.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/293360_2100386072530_1331760350_32225771_635536629_n.jpg

Thanks for all the help. Regardless I need a new drivers side lamp as mine is all messed up (the metal reflector inside) so I need a new one at least, my pass side one was replaced about 2 years ago. So I guess it comes down to if i want to spend the money on the projectors, to my door is 300 :(

Archived