LegacyGT.com

2005 Legacy vs 2004 STi

Areamihc

i feel the need to chime in coming from the wrx/sti world to the lgt world it sounds like what your describing the LGT is more suited to your needs ive driven every year sti/wrx and have owned two wrx's and what you want is a legacy. the sti isnt worth the higher insurance/worst gas mileage/ stiffer ride unless you really plan on tracking it or just want the more flashy looks. granted there are difference but with the exception of the transmission they can achieve similar power levels. the ej255 in the legacy also 06+ wrx is identical to the ej257 as far as the block goes the sti has better flowing heads iirc. the sti transmission is damn near bullet proof but from the sounds of it you dont plan on pushing ungodly hp from your car. as far as power levels i would say the sti turbo does have slightly more potential but you are correct in saying its not as easy as just bolting on as the legacy is set up slightly different. but with proper tuning and modification it can put down comparable numbers. if you were to buy an sti i wouldnt buy an 04 anyway i would go 05 based on better features to include, 17x8 wheels instead of 17x7.5, better wheel bearings the 04 had issues with these, new front helical LSD, as well as broader range of DCCD changability, also had a bunch of smaller feature changes, ie climate control, immobilizer/alarm, etc. etc. i would sit down and really see what you are looking for and make a list and see which meets those needs

I really doubt thats the reason for the insurance difference! When I was cross shopping Used Subies 4 years ago I went with the LGT, It was cheaper than the STi but about the same price as a WRX. However a short conversation with my insurance agent pushed me toward the LGT, About $1100 less per annum... for me at 22 years old (Then).

I suspect the difference is due to demographics as was previously mentioned.

http://www.insurancerate.com/expensive-cars-to-insure-subaru-impreza-wrx.php

Insurance is the sole reason I wound up walking away from a killer deal on a brand new 2011 WRX. I'm 27 and the rates for a WRX were basically double that of a Legacy. Sure I'd love the VF52 and potential for 300whp on the stock turbo, but with the money i'll save on insurance i can get an 18G and supporting mods :lol:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Archived