LegacyGT.com

Where's the weight thread?

I remember seeing a thread that listed the weight of all the components of our cars. I've used the search function and checked the guides but can't seem to find it.

Got a 5k mile road trip planned and I want to do everything to maximize fuel economy... my 24mpg is gonna run me $1000 at this rate if gas hits $5.

Probably something stupid I've missed... Could someone link me?

Have you done all this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3506948&postcount=2

Other than that, remove gas cap, move civic underneath gas cap, replace gas cap ;)

Have done or will do most of that. Don't have a spare Civic though.

I know you guys are probably judging me quite a bit, but I want to do a massive roadtrip while I'll still enjoy it and while my back's still capable of sleeping in a sedan. I love my car, so I'm not going with another. I wouldn't have wanted to do this roadtrip if I was driving most other cars.

I know it's terrible on fuel efficiency, but the decision to do a roadtrip has already been made, so at this point I just want to look into ways to cut costs. Our cars aren't great choices for massively long treks across the USA because they're so fun to drive, which is why the only car I'd do this in is my Legacy...

You could remove the spare..

Also drive 65. My 2.2 wagon gets 31mpg if I go 65, 27mpg if I go 70

Spare is a bit of a necessity on a big roadtrip through the desert, though.

I'm looking for the weight thread, though. I can get the mileage tips from the mileage thread.

What are you looking to do? Remove unnecessary parts to save weight?

The best way to save weight is to not bring a bunch of luggage or gear with you and be a very small person who drives alone.

Here is a list of parts you can remove: passenger seat, rear seat, floor mats, all interior trim and door panels, bumper covers, roof rack, stereo, glove box, dashboard console, etc.

And I guess you could take off your passenger side visor since you will be most likely wearing sunglasses.

Also remove your AC, wipers, hubcaps, carpet and vacuum out the interior. But idk.

Removing weight is going to do very, very little for mpg on the highway. It only helps marginally in the city because you are always speeding up/slowing down. At a constant speed, aerodynamics and wind resistance play a much bigger role in fuel economy than weight. And if you are only getting 24mpg, you should probably check into the running condition of your vehicle. My 06 gt does better than that, and my 98 gt is around 30mpg hwy

Archived