LegacyGT.com

intake silencer removed

giotein

i found an old post of the intake silencer removal.. and when i removed it, the "check engine" light went on. i want to know if i should be worried about this. also, turned on the engine and forgot to put back the filter adapter. i quickly put it back on, but the engine check light is still on. should i ask subaru to help me bout this? or will this void my warentee?

chris

Just out of curiosity, did you check your gas cap and re-tighten it? Other than that if you did the removal of the silencer by the directions, there is nothing that would trip the light. Try putting it back on and see if it goes away. If not, then take it to the dealer.

- Luminati

They may but probably will note it in the maintainence records system and then everytime you go in for some warranty work, they will yank your chain or outright deny the claim.

Hit up yout local Autozone and find out what the CEL code is and then we can take it from there.

I keed I keeed

Chris,

Perhaps you have accidently damage the MAF (mass air flow) sensor during the process of removing the intake silencer.

Worst case, put everything back in and take it to the dealer. Just tell the deal that you noticed the Check Engine Light was on and they should inspect it.

Chris,

Perhaps you have accidently damage the MAF (mass air flow) sensor during the process of removing the intake silencer.

Worst case, put everything back in and take it to the dealer. Just tell the deal that you noticed the Check Engine Light was on and they should inspect it.

Yeah, could be the MAF, again goto your local Autozone and get the CELs.

Why should SoA pay for the inspection of something that is likely the owner's fault ?

Yes put everything back, goto the dealer and tell them what you did and what may have triggered the CEL and pay for the inspection/repairs if necessary.

But I would advise against that and recommend fixing it on your own bill, unless you know for sure it is not your fault.

I keed I keeed

also, turned on the engine and forgot to put back the filter adapter. i quickly put it back on, but the engine check light is still on. chris

Could that not be his problem?

I agree with everyone and get the CEL and someone here should be abel to help.

I also did that mod and have had it removed for like 2 months or so maybe more. Not one problem as did everyone else I beleive, you must have bumped something or its just a freak thing. put it all back together exactly the way you found it and take to the dealer.

Dave

so you think that starting the car and forgetting to put back the intake adapter is not the problem? because when i started it.. it had a sound of not enough air to the engine. my friend thinks that maybe the problem. what is the CEL? i am really worried that this will hurt my warentee. can i get rid of the "mantainance" light by resetting the batt? or is this not a good idea? because i think if there is a problem, i need to service my car, so they will just fix it anyways. please tell me if i am wrong.

Don't reset the battery to get rid of the Check Engine Light.

You want to know what the Check Engine Light came on for and the CEL(Check Engine Light) code tells you what the specific system/component is and what is wrong with it.

Goto your local Autozone and they should be able to connect their OBDII(On-Board Diagnostics) scanner to your car's OBDII connector and find out what the code is.

I keed I keeed

Just reset the ecu by removing battery lead. No doubt the check engine light was tripped when he started car without any filter in the intake canister and it thought something was wrong. Now that there is a filter in there it shouldn't trip it again unless you messes something else up.

Here is the problem, resetting the ECU will just get rid of the Check Engine Light, but the code will still be stored in the ECU's history table. So the next time you go to the dealer for a different Check Engine Light, they will see the code for that old Check Engine Light and get suspicious, but that depends on how smart they are. :)

At least at Autozone, they can clear the history table as if nothing ever happened.

I keed I keeed

Guest *Jedimaster*
Please be sure to plug in the MAF and anything else that was removed when you took the silencer out. I seem to remember someone else having a CEL after removal the intake silencer and the solution was to make sure it was plugged in tightly.

hmm.. something good and weird happened today. i was filling up gas, and when i started the engine to leave, the CEL didn't turn on. is this a good thing? did the ecu kind of fix or adapt to the problem? or did it find that there was no problem?

When a CEL comes on, I think it stays on for a minimum number of engine cranks/drives, after which it turns off if its root cause hasn't persisted. So I guess you should be fine, but keep a close eye and ear on the engine for a week to make sure nothing funky is going on.
I keed I keeed

Archived