LegacyGT.com

Shift Linkage Question

Hi All,

I recently had the clutch replaced on my 2000 Subaru Legacy. Everything was working fine for about a day. Then in the middle of a drive I could not change gears and the shift lever seemed loose.

I pulled off the gator around the shift lever and could see that the ball joint had popped apart. I was able to reinsert the ball into the socket and could then shift gears if I was careful about keeping a downward pressure on the lever so it would not pop out of the socket.

The timing of this problem, right after clutch replacement, makes me think they are related. Presumably, when the clutch is replaced the ball socket is not separated but the shift linkage is disconnected from the transmission. Is it possible that they started to drop/move the transmission without disconnecting the linkage and then popped the ball from the socket at the shifter?

How is the ball kept in the socket? I have a diagram from my Haynes manual, but it is not the 2000 model. The diagram shows a clip that might keep the top the socket snug so the ball cannot pop out. There is no clip on mine though.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Basically, I want to know if this is a coincidence or if it could be related to the clutch replacement.

Thanks

Archived