LegacyGT.com

Considering a Porsche 986/987 Boxter or Cayman

Considering a Porsche 986/987 Boxter or Cayman. Looking to hear some experiences you may have had with these cars.

I would be interested in a Miata or something like that, but at 6'4" I cannot physically fit into many small cars. The Porsche, though, appears to be pretty doable with a little work on the seat rails.

I do not know much about them in detail, but the big picture is this:

The 986 or 987 platform has excellent handling, and costs a lot less than the 911 counterparts (996/997). Mid engined means excellent weight distribution. Power will not be a problem, as a LSx engine with LS4 accessories can most likely fit, based on what I have seen. The most valuable part of a Porsche tends to be the engine, so selling the Porsche engine and putting in a LS V8 is not a terribly expensive endeavor, stock for stock. Might even come out ahead on that. There is decent aftermarket support to physically bolt up a LSx to a Porsche 5mt or 6mt transaxle. I suspect the 6mt would be the better choice in the long run.

An LSD upgrade would be a certainty. I do not know what I would do to the suspension, as it's already good stock. But this would be a consideration in deciding on the trim level, Base or S. Would be a street car.

Oldest 986 cars go for ~$10,000.

986 S models go for $~13,000.

987 Cayman S is closer to ~$30k with lower mileage than the older 986 cars at aforementioned price points.

Cons:

-I really don't know... would like to get some input from you guys. Sure it's a legally blonde chick car... I can deal with that.

-I knew two kids who were driving up near Wellesley, MA and put a Cayman into a giant tree at maybe 80mph. The car caught fire and burned up to the point of being unrecognizable. It was never said whether they died on impact or not. The car disintegrated upon impact. Parts of it were everywhere. After the crash site was cleared, we picked up a door lock here and a button there... the tree had a 6" line of bark scratched into it, like nothing had happened...

Granted at that speed crashing into a solid object in any car is basically a death sentence, still this crash scene did not inspire confidence, to say the least...

In any event I have a laundry list of projects for the Legacy, and I will do them. But I am certain the LGT is not going to be my one and only fun car. I have pretty much surrendered the idea of a LSx engine in a LGT, due to the fact that in the end there will still be better fun cars to build without as much headache. That and many other reasons.

Hoping to learn a lot about the next car prior to pulling the trigger. Let's talk mid engine Porsche!

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Many Chevy V8s have found their way into Porsches, both front engine and rear engine. Haven't seen it in a mid engine, at least not in a Porsche mid engine.

I'm not concerned about the motor swap, I'm concerned about buying a decade old Porsche and then realizing that I should have bought a BMW all along, something like that.

It's just easier to hear it from someone who has been there and done that, rather than doing my own research and experimenting :lol:

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

My mom has an 04 Boxster base. I'm not sure how well you'd fit in them. I will say that this is the best handling car that i've ever driven. Also i'm not sure there is room for an LS1 as with the oil pan i feel it might be too tall to fit in the engine bay.

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

Honestly, I don't think its going to fit. I've talked to my mechanic about these Boxters, and they are some of the bitchiest things to work on as the engine cannot be accessed from above, everything has to be done underneath. With that in mind, servicing a small block may be difficult at best, if not borderlining impossible in a Boxter chassis.

I'm sure you can open up parts of the body to access the engine, though I'm not sure what kind of structural integrity or major functions you may have to give up.

I'd say maybe do what some else has done(forgot his username at the moment) and swap in a small block into a E39. All the beauty of older BMW's with the reliability and power of a small block.

It will fit... with some modification, and it has been done, once to my knowledge. My buddy had a early model boxster and when I had a ls1 for sale he really wanted to buy it from me. He did many hours of research and found one shop that had done the swap and was thinking of putting a package together for those who want to do the swap in the future. This was a couple years ago and he said the shop had said there were a lot of snags they had to get around but they eventually got it done.

Honestly, I don't think its going to fit. I've talked to my mechanic about these Boxters, and they are some of the bitchiest things to work on as the engine cannot be accessed from above, everything has to be done underneath. With that in mind, servicing a small block may be difficult at best, if not borderlining impossible in a Boxter chassis.

I'm sure you can open up parts of the body to access the engine, though I'm not sure what kind of structural integrity or major functions you may have to give up.

I'd say maybe do what some else has done(forgot his username at the moment) and swap in a small block into a E39. All the beauty of older BMW's with the reliability and power of a small block.

Sorry your mechanic is wrong there is access to the top of the engine. The carpet under the taneau cover comes up which gives access to the top of the engine.

2003 Baja 5MT

It looks like Renegade will release their 996 Porsche LSx conversion kit later this year. Their 986 conversion does not appear to be done yet, though they appear to be working on it.

Sorry your mechanic is wrong there is access to the top of the engine. The carpet under the taneau cover comes up which gives access to the top of the engine.

There is also a cover behind the seats that can come out to get to the front of the engine. One big problem you will face is if you have to deal with emissions. It will be extremely packed to get a functioning headers, cats, and mufflers in there. At least in IL the biggest thing they do for emissions is to check the OBDII system in which that is going ot be a custom tune and electronics which won't be cheap. Not sure how well the radiators will be able to cool down the V8 that is enclosed like that either. There's a lot of what ifs in this swap and doesn't seem to be a real common one at least yet.

Personally drive a Boxster S or even a 996 stock first and see if you like it.

BTW I am 6'2" and fit in either no problem.

Sweet! Emissions is not a problem for me in Texas. The great thing about a boxer engine bay is the side room. Stock LSx Headers appear very easy to fit in such configuration. The issues are of course engine height and length. I've researched the length issue thoroughly, and have lots of ideas to shorten up and/or narrow horizontally the accessory package. Supposedly the stock 996 cooling system is sufficient for the Renegade LSx swap, which lines up with other swaps on the net.

I suspect in the end it will come down to the emotional response, since thus far I have not heard a significant reason against this or a couple other European platforms. Just the Legacy :lol:

If you go for a Boxster I'd look for an S since there is a 3rd radiator in the center of the front bumper. The base Boxster only has 2 side radiators in front of the front wheels. Though i've read that some guys who track their base Boxsters have added the S radiator, shrouds and bumper for extra cooling.

2003 Baja 5MT

Archived