LegacyGT.com

I need an engine! Give me options

Got the 98 Legacy OB a few weeks ago from my brothers work for 2000. It had 234K on everything and supposedly it got a new head gasket and a couple other fixes at like 230K. One of the Subaru mechanics at my brothers work said it had a misfire code and the check engine light periodically came on. It idled low when it got warm (between 400 and 600 RPM) and the valves were ticking. Also made a rattling noise after it would shift. Did an oil change yesterday because the 5-30 is too thin. So today it ran fine and a lot more quiet then I pull into a parking lot stop and park and see smoke and smell oil burning then watching the low oil light come on. There had to have been two quarts on the pavement so i just put the extra quart i had in there and drove it a few blocks to park it at my brothers. I think the front main seal is blown.. I want a newer engine anyways.. What are my best options for $4,000-$5000 ??

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q513/dwaible22/IMAG0172.jpg

Check out the turbo FAQ sticky at the top of the second gen forum page. It lists a lot of engines, boths USDM and JDM.

With $4-5k you can just about anything you want. You could buy a crashed WRX and swap the engine, ecu, etc., into your OB. There are tons of JDM engines w/transmissions on ebay.

What is a front main seal? I know what a rear main seal is.

Got it checked out just to see what was wrong with it and turns out my internals are still fine after 235k miles but the cam seals, crank seal(front main seal), and water pump all needed to be replaced. The guy got that and a few small things done in two days and only for $630.00

Archived