LegacyGT.com

OEM cat or custom exhaust?

ROStevens

So I need to replace my catalytic converter on my 01 LGT and I priced it out and it will be really pricey since its not meant for universal. How much would a custom exhaust run me instead of replacing the cat?

not true

an EPA approved OBDII compliant catalytic converter should be closer to $300-500. A muffler shop should be able to weld it in for less than $100

If the area you are in does not have an actual idle or rolling emissions test, then you can get away with a $60-100 cat.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I am in the exact same situation as the OP with my other car (2001 LGT).

I have been told by many many trusted sources saying the aftermarket cats just don't work.

A friend of mine who is a manager at Midas says the subarus always come back. They then have to follow what the cat manufacturer suggest (fuel system cleaner etc...) and its always the same story.

I was quoted $933.40 for the cat pipe (includes 2 cats).

That's simply too much. I saw one on rockauto.com for $240.00, but I just don't see myself going against what everyone has told me.

Since they have first hand experience, I can only pass along the information to you.

I am now in search of a resistor modification to electronically trick the sensor and keep the current cats in.

Any help would be great.

Archived