LegacyGT.com

Rear struts on a 1990 L sedan

So I finally went out and got myself my first Subaru for my daily driver. It's a 1990 Legacy L sedan AWD.

The car itself is in good shape for having 288k miles on the body, nothing majorly wrong with it that I can tell, but it needs some new rear struts and probably mounts.

I've been searching around for some rear mounts and I've come to the conclusion that if I want to get anything at all I'm going to have to go OEM. There is a possiblity that I could find the mounts at my local parts store, they have lots of old obsolete parts. Does anyone know what the monroe number would have been?

Both rear struts are toast, the passenger side one bounces freely and the driver side one makes a grinding sound when it comes to the resting position, kinda like rusty metal grinding. In my searching for new struts I keep finding prices of over $100 each for KYB and Monroe however I found a PAIR of Gabriel struts, right numbers too, for less than $100!!

Should I avoid the Gabriel's or would they be suitable for daily driving? I don't plan on beating this car very hard or very often. I don't have the $ needed to get the Monroe's or KYB's. I don't think I'll have the $ to get the mounts either.

I'd rather not buy any salvage yard stuff, there's nothing close enough to me with those kinda cars in them. Does anyone have any good options for me?

Thanks for your help.

Archived