LegacyGT.com

Legacy Rallycross

Well the rallycross for today was cancelled due to conditions. Too much thaw they say. i was ready for the mud... oh well.

With no more events close enough this year, I swapped my winter wheels back over to the Impreza for daily driving. So the Legacy is gonna sit for a while. I will keep it insured so I can drive it when ever. I will need it when the Impreza goes for paint soon.

Future plans are to deal with weight. I want to get rid of ABS, AC and move the battery to the trunk. This may throw me right into the prepared class, but if I can make it look like they weren't factory installed, I should get away with it. I will do a bigger front brake set this summer as well. It's the little things that can give you a second or two on a lap. Also like to find a GT/Outback hood, and maybe do something with the paint.

The Impreza is a 2001 L Wagon. It has come along way in the year and a half I have owned it and will be finished most of it come summer. It needed repairs when I bought it, but it was a great deal.

I built the 2.2/2.5L Frankenstein for it over the Christmas holidays. It needs the rocker panels redone and the STI hood and top wing colour matched. So the entire thing will be sprayed. Waiting to hear back from someone on a set of H&R springs. Then an ebay intake pipe, some exhaust work and some JDM 17" STI or WRX wheels.

This is the best picture that I have at the moment. You can see 3 switches on the center console. The two that are right next to each other control the heated seats. The one right in front of the drivers seat heater switch controls the windshield heater.

http://i44.tinypic.com/256qrdf.jpg

Center console is the same size. Your switches are locater more forward on that specific trim panel. You have a small pocket up next to your e-brake. That's where the switches are located on the OBL.

The windshield heater switch is just over $30 online. You should be able place it wherever you'd like. Besides that you just need the wiring and the windshield. I just haven't figured out where all the wiring is and how it's plugged in. That parts car at the junk yard you go to should have all the wiring if no one has taken it.

Yeah the Outback I had definitely had those heated seat switches in the pic Kenny posted. The spot where the windshield heater switch was probably a little coin holder.

Your switches look odd to me Tex. They almost look aftermarket. In the L, I could have just popped out the coin holders and popped in the heated seat switches and windshield switch or just replaced the panel.

• 4 months later...

I haven't posted on the forums for quite some time. Many of my weekends since the winter have been devoted to the Impreza. Some substantial changes to it were made. Now driving the car with a decent suspension setup, I want the same for the Legacy this winter.

I read through the suspension thread and have gotten plenty of ideas. My buddy drives an 04 STI that he just bought coilovers for. Either I get the STI struts/springs, or just some KYB replacements for the front. What bigger rear sway bars are direct fit? I know Outback will work, will 3rd gen rear sway work?

As I have been driving the Legacy every once and a while, it is almost due for a set of front brakes. What bigger front brakes fit under 15" wheels? My only thought is to use Outback calipers, any ideas?

If you can get 3rd Gen Rear rotors, the Brackets you can keep your factory Calipers but move up from The 10" to 11.4" rotors. It's called the H6 rear brake upgrade.

Only dilemma: you need 16" wheels to clear the new brakes.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-gen-lgt-brake-upgrades-wrx-front-and-h6-rear-154702p8.html

I would definitely go for the STi setup. It will be less expensive and it is a much sportier suspension setup. It's a no-brainer....

Also, there are Wilwood brake kits that will fit under 15" wheels. One of the guys on here has the setup. Just search for it.

Ken, you are the bomb diggity but...At the end of the day improving on a car's stopping and handling comes from the best wheel and tire combo. Who wants to stay 15" wheels when you can go 2-3 inches more with a better diameter as well?

My rear H6 set up was super cheap. I doubt that the STI set up for the rears is going to be cheaper then my total cost. What I do need to do is upgrade my front brakes.

But trust me, when I did the sway end links (whitelines), upgraded the wheels to 17X8 and ran the 235/45/17 set up that little car turned into an animal!!

I think it's Eekay that has the front and rear Wilwoods.

Due to rally tires being very commonly sized in 15" and being cheaper, the wheels will stay 15". I'm not concerned with the rear brakes being upgraded, they are in good shape and there is just no need to replace them.

I guess the Outback front brakes will have to do. Now to convince my buddy to sell me the STI setup...

• 6 months later...

Another season of rallycross has come about. Had the first race last week and placed 2nd in class. The car hasn't undergone much more work since the summer.

I gave up on the STI suspension and just ordered front struts as it was obvious during corners the car is desperate for them. I did upgrade the front brakes to the Outback dual piston calipers, pads and rotors.

The 15" wheels I let go of and gave them to a friend. The car is on the 16" GTZ wheels with studded tires on front. This really lets the back end swing out for tight corners in the snow.

I just put in the front struts, a pair of KYB's. Made all the difference in stability and now I can really feel how bad the rear struts are. Still have to get the alignment done and install some shifter bushings before the next race.

One rallycross I plan on competing in is about 250 miles away. Not something I could do very often.

Archived