LegacyGT.com

Suspension help needed for the mechanically challenged

mulliganvi

I am in need of suspension help. I have done plenty of searches and found great information from these forums, but in the end I think it has just been too much information and has confused me even more. What I want from a suspension upgrade is as follows:

Better handling on those curvy mountain roads.

Do away with that floating feeling when going over rolling bumps at highway speeds.

A little drop to give it a meaner look but not too much to where I couldn't drive in the snow - ( I really like the look of the Sport Spec Spring drop)

Durability is important. I don't want to do an upgrade in which the stock parts would outlast the upgraded ones.

Ease of use. I don't need coilovers with a bagillion different adjustments as I don't ever see myself adjusting anything.

Up front price isn't a huge deal, as I would like to purchase a solution that will last and fit my needs. The problem from reading the post with coilovers is that I have no mechanical ability what so over. It may get expensive later down the line if I have to pay a mechanic to take them off and put back on the stock shocks/struts every few years to ship off the coilovers to be recharged. Additionally, It is important that I purchase something from a shop that is here in Northern California or has an affiliation with a shop here as I won't be able to do the install myself. One of the reasons why I am considering the GB of the Swift Shocks from Mann Engineering.

My driving tendencies are probably a bit tame compared to most people on this forum. I don't partake in auto-x or racing. I do like the spirited drives on the back roads when the chance presents itself but for the most part I am just a daily commuter.

One last thing. Does it make sense to wait to see if Subaru will offer a suspension upgrade package for the '05 gt sedan's with the Bilstein suspension package and thus leaving my warranty intact?

Thanks everyone for your help...

One last thing. Does it make sense to wait to see if Subaru will offer a suspension upgrade package for the '05 gt sedan's with the Bilstein suspension package and thus leaving my warranty intact?

They wont.

I wanted the same things as you and accomplished it with Bilseins (JDM GT), STi pinks and new sways. OEM quality so you know it will last ;)

Details

As complicated as coilovers sound, they are not. And you dont have to be mechanically inclined to enjoy the demands that you are looking for in your suspension.

Coilovers will fit your bill nicely. You can just adjust it one time for your daily use on the street and that's it (and it will be good for the winter too). It will probably out last a set of stock shocks and lowering springs (your concern about reliability).

Keefe

Keefe

On the durability issue, is this true for all coilover brands? The rebuilding advantage simply means that when a coilover wears out, I won't have to buy another set (like I would for stockers)? I've always assumed that coilovers were not as durable as stock type shocks. Interesting information.

Xenonk's specifically mentioned stock shocks + lowering springs and not stock springs. I think for a totally stock suspension, stock shocks and springs, the combo will outlast any coilover, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: The reliability/durability of any suspension depends on one's driving style, where aggresiveness reduces life.

I keed I keeed

Xenonk's specifically mentioned stock shocks + lowering springs and not stock springs. I think for a totally stock suspension, stock shocks and springs, the combo will outlast any coilover, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: The reliability/durability of any suspension depends on one's driving style, where aggresiveness reduces life.

I agree about the driving style. Also how hard do you use your car as well will determine wear and tear on any item.

Regards,

Gary

Mann Engineering

melayout, you're right, I missed the "lowering springs" part.

Granted, hard use of any object will reduce it's lifespan. Given equal use, what is the relative longevity of coilovers vs. the stock setup outlast (lets assume coilovers set at stock ride height, if that makes a difference) vs. the JDM GT / Spec B setups?

Mulliganvi, sorry about the thread hijack!

The longevity of a suspension combo also depends on its settings and the conditions it sees. If you tune it too stiff or too soft, then it would put more stress on the suspension reducing its lifespan. A too stiff suspension will go thru shocks and tires, while a too soft one will go thru springs.

The JDM GT/Spec B setup is an OEM setup so it should last as long as the USDM GT OEM setup. With that I think an OEM setup will always outlast an aftermarket setup.

I keed I keeed

On the durability issue, is this true for all coilover brands? The rebuilding advantage simply means that when a coilover wears out, I won't have to buy another set (like I would for stockers)? I've always assumed that coilovers were not as durable as stock type shocks. Interesting information.

Coilovers can last just as long as any stock shock. HOWEVER, here is your trade off:

-Stock shocks are cheaper to replace than it is to rebuild.

-Coilovers are cheaper to rebuild than to replace.

-Either way you look at it, the shocks will come out of your car anyways

-Are you willing to take out the shocks x-amount of times when it comes to rebuilds? The performance gains you get vs. x-amounts of rebuilds.

At the end, it's really a choice of what you want, not a price issue.

Keefe

Keefe

It doesnt have to be how agressive you drive, it's WHERE you drive. Tarmac coilovers will NOT survive on Gravel. The more "tarmac-race" tuned the coilover is, the less it will survive on public roads with potholes. You can drive the same way as you normally do, but the shock is going to get a beating. Imagine a super smooth highway, the shocks are not going to do much. But if the road is full of potholes, and you drive the same speed, it's gonna get beat up, and that's just driving on a straight road.

Your statement IS TRUE about stock EVERYTHING will outlast any coilover, but the idea is this: YOU WANT MORE PERFORMANCE out of the suspension. SOMETHING has got to give. And usually, it's the durability than the actual cost. There are some cost-effective methods when it comes to suspension, it's really UP TO YOU to decide what you want the car to do.. you gotta have something to aim for..

From my very own mouth when I give advice to people:

"You cant take a tarmac coilover to go rallying. That's just silly to blow out a shock like that by beating up all the valves. You shouldnt take a rally coilover to a tarmac race, that's just overkill and really, you are not getting all the performance out of the coilover anyways. Rallying can fall into some really beat up roads, but you just have to make your best judgement as to how rugged your daily drive really is comprised of either smooth, semi-smooth, or just plain rugged half-paved back roads."

Keefe

Keefe

melayout, you're right, I missed the "lowering springs" part.

Granted, hard use of any object will reduce it's lifespan. Given equal use, what is the relative longevity of coilovers vs. the stock setup outlast (lets assume coilovers set at stock ride height, if that makes a difference) vs. the JDM GT / Spec B setups?

Mulliganvi, sorry about the thread hijack!

Maintenance is the key to having working order parts. You can beat the car up some, but you also have to be responsible to maintain the car. This is a very hard thing to answer since there are a lot of variables to fill in. And there isnt a percentage I could give you of even knowing how the stock stuff will outlast the coilovers. In all, it really depends the conditions, and I mean a lot of conditions. Hell, I can easily say "they will last exactly the same if you never drive the car and only put 1,000 miles a year at the race tracks."

And no [to your statement about ride height], your assumption doesnt prove much since you can have coilovers that function normally because it sits lower and based on the actual design of the coilover's suspension travel.

My last set of coilovers on the WRX that I bought for 1st-street/2nd-autox/3rd-very light track use lasted about 45,000 miles (out of the 65+k miles I had on the car). Typical stock shocks like the WRX could last anywhere from 25,000 miles to 90,000 miles, which really all depends on the roads. I say 25,000 miles on the short side because I had a few friends that have WRXs that drive daily into the city with A LOT of potholes.. I found one of the shocks blown and leaked from the rears mostly.

On the new Legacys, expect the front shocks to be the first to blow. (reason being is that the common practice of suspension design is softer springs, the more valving the shocks has, they complement each other, not supplement). Remember, it all depends on where you drive and how often, not how hard YOU drive the car as a top priority of reasons why the shocks blow out.

Peace Out!

Keefe

Keefe

I wanted the same things as you and accomplished it with Bilseins (JDM GT), STi pinks and new sways. OEM quality so you know it will last ;)

Details

Thanks for link. It looks like a great setup. I would need to find a local mechanic if I would go this route that would be comfortable with the install, but I would think that is easy enough.

Is there a particular coilover that you would suggest?

Thanks

My current guess right now off the top of my head would actually be the HKS LS+ since you are not looking for racing or autoxing, but it's a completely tuned suspension with a preload adjustment... I dont remember if it came with camber plates or not, but it does lower the car just a little bit to give you that one time adjustment and you are done. There are shock adjustments that you can just turn the dial yourself to stiffen or soften the ride at your choice, no tools needed for that either.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived