LegacyGT.com

'91 Legacy Factory stereo harness cable color code? Connector is cut off

lolol

I got a crapbox 91 Legacy. The display on the aftermarket stereo that came with it is broken.

No problem, so I'll pick up the cheapest car stereo I can find at Wal-Mart.

So, I take out the old head unit and I find out that whoever did the install did one hell of a hack job. They chopped off the factory harness and wired the after market stereo right into it using crimp on connectors.

I could trace it using the label on the broken head unit, but that's only as good as the person that installed that stereo. I find the 12v and ignition 12v are reversed on the hookup. I don't even have faith that polarity on speakers are even right.

Also, the antenna hookup is missing. Where is the antenna lead supposed to come? I checked all in the stereo bay and couldn't find antenna plug or any signs of coax cable.

See this: 1990-1994 Subaru Legacy radio pin-out

You might not have either of the illumination wires (pins 2 and 5 on the 7-pin plug).

I think all Subaru models and years that used the 7- and 9-pin harnesses for the radio used those same colors -- even European SVXs.

Your 1991 was probably the same as 1992. That year's factory radio has a very long "pigtail" antenna cable. The car's antenna socket is on the side of the transmission hump, under the carpet (like SVX and 2010-2011 Legacy/Outback). You'll need at least an 18" extension to comfortably reach a new radio.

Archived