LegacyGT.com

Pilot Shaft Worn

cas5259

I just had a new clutch put in my 2004 GT 5MT at 130k. The new one was great for about 50 miles until it started slipping again. Took the car back to my local mechanic to see whats going on. He pulled the transmission and found that the input shaft, which the throwout bearing slides on, was burred and worn (not sure what would cause that). He tried lightly sanding it down to make it smooth but found that the bearing could stick on the shaft when pressure is applied unevenly, which is how it functions. This shaft looks to be part of the bell housing so the mechanic wants to replace the entire transmission. Can just the shaft or bell housing be replaced instead of the trans?

Long story short, has anyone had this problem? If so, how did you fix it? New transmission or new bell housing? A 6MT would be nice :)

depending on the damage i believe the transquil sleeve kit (TSK) would work for you... also depends on fitment. i know the tsk3 is good for the 05/06 5MT tranny. does the 04 use the same tranny?

wish i could be more definite. do a search on here for "tranquil sleeve" or tsk3 or tsk and see what comes up.

Thanks for the tip, looks like that should work fine. I ordered the part today so the mechanic should have it on Wednesday. Ended up having to fly to KY for work this week so I won't get to see the result until this weekend. Hopefully that makes things all better.

Archived