LegacyGT.com

New here, 97 Legacy GT

Fido

For the last few days, I've been reading almost every thread here that might relate to my car, and I've finally decided to sign up and share.

My first car was a 91 Legacy. It went the way so many first cars went. I totaled it. :( But I was hooked on Subarus. I drove a terrible car (I won't name it) to school for a year, meanwhile checking out every 90s Legacy on the market, locally, but none felt like a safe buy (engine knock, ec)... until I found this beauty... Drove it around a bit and was happy to discover it drove as well as it looked.

http://i.imgur.com/Wfx89.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/x3m0Z.jpg

Its only (so far discovered) downside is that it isn't a 5speed. It has about 130k miles (127k when I bought it 3 or 4 months ago). I drove it hard while it was in warranty as any potential head gasket problems that might've been the reason for the previous owner selling it would have been covered by the dealership I bought it at, so I wanted to discover those before warranty expired.

Now that the warranty's gone, I'm babying it because I don't ever want to lose it. Now if only it'd snow more...

Edit: Of course I forgot to mention it has a bit of piston slap when it's cold - googling that actually brought me here - but I've since found out that's mostly benign, so I won't worry about it too much.

Would very much appreciate feedback, tips, etc etc.

MAN she's a beauty!! What part of PA ya from? I live in SE PA in Chester County! I LOVE SUBY's too and have had a few. 02 WRX, 08 Legacy GT. Currently SUBY-less but trying to work out a deal on the exact same car!! 97 LGT AUTO but in white and 160K miles. I know the history of the car my best friends mom bought it brand new!! I actually helped replace the head gaskets, timing belt, water pump etc so thats all been taken care of!! Hope it works out for me lol

Good luck with your car GREAT FIND again she's a beauty!!

MAN she's a beauty!! What part of PA ya from? I live in SE PA in Chester County! I LOVE SUBY's too and have had a few. 02 WRX, 08 Legacy GT. Currently SUBY-less but trying to work out a deal on the exact same car!! 97 LGT AUTO but in white and 160K miles. I know the history of the car my best friends mom bought it brand new!! I actually helped replace the head gaskets, timing belt, water pump etc so thats all been taken care of!! Hope it works out for me lol

Good luck with your car GREAT FIND again she's a beauty!!

Hope you can get it! I'm near Maryland, south of York. Not that far from you then.

I'm being all paranoid with mine, every little rattle or creak and I get all suspicious. But she runs great, I really can't complain. I just don't know much of the service history of my car, beyond the Carfax. No idea who owned it since the dealer I bought it from got it at auction. Carfax says it had regular maintenance and was once t-boned (no serious damage) on the right side, and at one point around 80 or 90k miles there was an $800-ish dollar service which I HOPE was the headgasket replacement.

Probably tinted windows, maybe remove the wing. Nothing major. I'm scared it'll look riced out, I'm really not one of those guys who likes flashy cars all that much - I'd much prefer to have an ugly sleeper with serious power (even though I don't race) than a fancy, clearly modded beast.

Right now, the most pressing concern is washing it before it camouflages too well with the road. It looks like I went offroading in a mud field and the rims look like they're covered with soot. It's embarrassing.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the suspension, I don't know how easy that is to do, but I really love when a car feels more responsive (rather than feeling like you're on a hovercraft). I want that tightened a bit. Feel the road more.

I'm om the exact same page as you. O just want to lower mine. New rims. Really good suspension. I took my spoiler off for a week and decided I like it but then I put mud flaps on it and decided it looked alot better with the spoiler on. Can't explain why tho. But yes....classy sleeper > heavily modded ricer. Good luck with it! I hope to see progress posts!:)

I got some cheesy universals from advanced auto for 20$. I plan on getting either rally armour ones that you can find on the vendor section of this forum or I found some pretty cool ones that say Subaru on eBay for about 15$ + 20$ shipping!

That car looks really nice, I wish mine was that shiny. Scratches on the black look awful...

Only thing I'd be concerned about is the timing belt. I'd probably pull the covers, maybe even pull the belt to check the idlers and water pump.

If the timing belt, idlers, or water pump is original, you want it replaced ASAP. If any of that stuff breaks you'll bend valves. Gets expensive really fast.

I've found the auto tranny really isn't that bad in these cars. Mine hash 244k miles on it. Proof that if you service the transmission it'll last a very long time.

I'd probably do a drain/fill on the transmission, and replace both front and back diff oil just as preventative maintenance.

I'm surprised it looks so good for a 15 year old car. The only blemishes it has are where the paint around with windshield is a bit chipped away, and some similar chips in the paint around the sunroof.

I'm going to bring it in for maintenance and leave it at the shop for a few days over spring break. Is there anything else I should have them do?

Archived